Time And Tide

Yesterday is not ours to recover, but tomorrow is ours to win or to lose. Lyndon B.Johnson

Monday, May 17, 2004

Blogging all the time

I don't think I've ever posted more than I have in the last few days. So much is going on that I seem to barely get time to sit down, and I seldom feel like I have got any rest, but somehow I've managed post after post here. It's good, I guess because the days are flying by at blazing speed. There may come a time when I don't remember the frantic euphoria of right now...maybe as early as next week. I've been up since a little before 4 this morning. It's been so many years since I got more than 5 hours sleep, it's what I get for going to bed before 11pm last night. Too bad too, I could really use a few more hours. Down in the kitchen the dishwasher is running, filling the house with the hum of spinning water thingies. Upstairs, laundry tumbles in the dryer and more waits in the basket for it's turn at clean. Still not much is clean in the house thesedays. I'm hoping another cup of coffee will see me off and running and the house might be a little closer to presentable by the time the girls leave for school. One can only hope.
Yesterday my brother brought his wife and Austin to the house. Terry (brother's wife) hadn't got to see the house yet and Austin was due for some heavy duty running around (which he got out in the yard). I was, as always, proud to show it off and point out all the little quirks that make the house so special to me - like the green door in the kids livingroom that opens to a wall, and the rough little original kitchen, so quaint with the antique wood and metal cabinets and crooked beadboard ceilings and walls. I was amazed when Terry claimed that particular room her favorite in the house. It's tiny, it's so...old, and John told me yesterday that she's told him repeatedly that she thinks the greatest things in the world are electricity and hair products. I happen to know that nail polish ranks right up there too. And lest I give the impression that my sister-in-law is a superficial type I'll throw out the disclaimer and say she is most definitely NOT. While she is beautiful and well-groomed, she likes cleaning house, mowing the lawn, rummaging around with her metal detector and playing with cats. It means a lot to me that my family loves the house and can understand why we chose to move "away" (outside of 15 minutes drive from all other family) and I'm very relieved every time someone new sees the place and gushes over it's perfection. Terry even suggested having Pop's retirement party there at the house. A big party is definitely in the works. I wonder if anyone will get drunk enough to volunteer to cut grass? Probably, but I doubt the volunteering to mow part.
Last night when we were taking a break between scrubbing kitchen cabinets and priming ceilings (my arms were killing me) we sat on the porch rocking in the naturally crackled chairs on the front porch. Doug said "It is peaceful here isn't it?" and I was thrilled to see that he seemed to understand the feeling that had grabbed me when we looked at this house. In spite of the fact that it did not come ready to move in, it is perfect for us - quirky kitchen, window on the inside of the house, and green door to nowhere - all of it.
Emily's room is now complete and so is the sewing room in back. The old kitchen still waits cleaning and painting of the cabinets and the floor, but I think that will wait until later on because we still have to replace the windows in there. Speaking of windows, Doug knocked out one of the panes of glass in the kitchen window yesterday. The exterior glazing is non-existant and when he went to swat the wasp that had snuck inside with one of us through the front door, it just fell out. Easy enough to fix. Just add it to the list. I'll get to it at some point, I'm sure. Thank goodness for the storm windows.
Today I'm taking the day off. Not exactly a day off, I'm shopping for flooring and heading into Anderson where the Home Depot is much larger than the one we have in Seneca. If I ever go back to work it will be in Lowes, Home Depot or a book store.

1 Comments:

Blogger Brent said...

I would love to work at a bookstore! I'd be reading all the time, though, and not getting much done.

6:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home