Time And Tide

Yesterday is not ours to recover, but tomorrow is ours to win or to lose. Lyndon B.Johnson

Thursday, May 06, 2004

I have paint on my nails, all over my pants (they're my paint pants) and in my hair.

I'm a happy camper.

We got a late start this morning because I couldn't find the bucket of joint compound I had sat out to take with me (in the closet) and then my father-in-law brought his mom and his fiance over to see the house (and let his fiance meet us) and I got nothing done after that. I had to leave at 2:00 to be sure I made it home in time to meet Emily's school bus, but still it was a really really great day. There is no air conditioner running and the 86 degree day was putting the insulation in the house to the test. The entire time I was there I bet it didn't get above 70 indoors. That was really great. Jake and I had stopped by Doug's for grilled cheese sandwiches and fries and we ate sitting in the empty livingroom in front of the fireplace before we got to work.
Painting the original kitchen is not easy. It's old beadboard that wasn't done in 4x8 sheets so the walls have lots of gaps between boards that vary in size and it takes a lot of laying off of the paint to make sure you don't get runs all over the place. I only got part of two walls painted but it's turning out really lovely so far. Since this room is completely original, I wanted to stay within the realm of original for the house and since I detest all of the other pastel colors that it is painted now, I chose the happy lavender for that room. Cheerful it is and that will be a cool place to make soap. I'm not sure if I'll paint both rooms happy purple or not. I'll be using it for a sewing room and storage.
The two rooms we will use the least are the ones I'm starting with because they will be able to store a lot of stuff longer than any other room in the house. It made sense to me.

After the closing yesterday we got the keys to the buildings. We've never been inside any of them before because they've always been locked when we've gone to the house and the only key fit the front door and that was all. There are two large 10x20 buildings and a small wooden building that's mainly used to hold tools and the garbage cans (I guess to keep the coons out of the trash). The little building is practically spooky but the big ones are just perfect. Inside each of them are shelves and storage racks all over the place. They both have power and the second one even has running water. Plenty of lighting and outlets for my tools. Doug said immediately he knew which one I'd want. We're going to see about getting a small window unit for the shop so I won't have to get sweaty while I'm outside building stuff. I may even get a mini-fridge to keep work beer in. Why not? I have plenty of outlets. How long do you think it will take my husband to ask if he can put a television and recliner out there for watching football games? I'll get to set it up pretty soon because I have to build a dining room table and bookshelves for the library. The guinea pigs are also going to get a new deluxe piggy home at some point. I'm going to be a sawing fool.

I can't wait.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home