Time And Tide

Yesterday is not ours to recover, but tomorrow is ours to win or to lose. Lyndon B.Johnson

Monday, April 19, 2004

Go ahead, make my day

Jake has speech on Mondays and afterwards we go to McDonalds to eat and play on the playground. Today had started of bad. Real bad. And I forgot to take a book with me, so I was sitting there with nothing to read and everyone I tried to call from my cell wasn't home. Thankfully, just before I was about to die of boredom, a woman came in with kids and Jake started playing with them and I talked to the mom. We talked like we'd known each other for years and wouldn't you know, we have. She wrote her phone number on the back of her business card for me and I recognized her name (somehow, we'd managed to talk all that time without giving names - I am all kinds of dufus, just like I said). Turns out she is the same girl that used to cut my husband's hair years ago before he started working so many hours he didn't have time for more than a quick buzz cut with the clippers (given by me) on some rushed morning when he decided he could not stand his hair brushing his collar anymore. I guess the last time I saw her was when I was pregnant with Emily and she's had a couple more kids since then too. We had a great time talking and saying over and over again "small world, ain't it?". Yeah.

So half way through my third coke refill, I had to go to the potty. On my way back, I passed a table with two guys who were apparently on lunch break from some kind of construction job. As I passed by, the one facing me gave me a hearty "mmmmm mmmmmmm" and a wink. It's been years - I mean YEARS since I had a good flirt, and though mmm mmm ranks way low on the best kinds of flirts to get, that wink and the smile made up for it's lack of originality. The fact that he was a real hottie helped a lot too. And like I said, it's been a good many years, a good twenty pounds and at least one kid ago since I got a flirt like that. I miss it. I'll take it. Though there was a time, years ago, when it happened often enough I could afford to be picky about which ones I accepted and which ones I blew off, today I took the lame flirtation and gave him my best "thank you very much" smile and tried to avoid stumbling over my own feet in a grand show of goofiness that showed just how long it's been since some strange guy noticed me enough to make sounds at me as I passed.

Part of me is embarrassed that it seems like it will be a highlight of my day. But part of me - the frumpy, usually in sweats or overalls housewife with 3 kids part - is still busy sucking in my gut, standing straight to make the best use of the little boobs I have left and remembering days gone by, when flirts were plentiful and I was so used to them I didn't properly appreciate them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home