Time And Tide

Yesterday is not ours to recover, but tomorrow is ours to win or to lose. Lyndon B.Johnson

Thursday, March 25, 2004

Coffee is good. I wonder sometimes how I ever got moving every day before I started drinking coffee. I have trouble remembering when, exactly, I did start to drink it. My memory fails me.

A lot has been happening here at casa de sickos this week. Em, Jake and I are going rounds with allergies complicated by our ridiculously overactive sinuses. Emily has by far been the worst of the three of us. Monday she had to go to the doctor, URI and the beginnings of a sinus infection...sounds familiar...it's just about the only thing that ever takes us to the doctor. With our sinuses (inherited from my dad's side of the family. Yep, I blame my dad) every little thing turns into a major event. Our sinuses work overtime, producing...you know, and filling our heads with the ick. The worst part is how bad it gets once it starts getting better. Em got medicine on Monday - an antibiotic and decongestant, expectorant. Once it starts working it gets rough. The congestion breaks up and starts to clear out, which is a good thing, but the drainage makes Emily violently ill. It's a trade off. Getting better makes her a lot sicker. It's no fun. The same thing happens with each of us, but so far, Jake and I have managed to hold out without getting that bad this go-round.

When Leirin was 2 years old, she had the same problem. After nearly a year of being on antibiotics for chronic sinus infections every 14 days, she had her huge adenoids removed. She has been sick maybe 3 times since. So today I am hauling Emily back into the doctor's office and asking them to get pictures of her sinuses to see if her adenoids are the same. She has missed 4 days of school and though overall she feels better than she had been, she hasn't stopped throwing up. Which means she doesn't eat, or doesn't keep anything she eats, and after 4 days of this I worry about the problems that are eminent if this continues. Hopefully, today we will be on our way to doing something about it. I hate to think that I'm about to go and lobby for surgery for one of my babies, but hey, nothing else is having any real success. We've tried the allergy meds and honestly, they suck. I just can not pay more than a dollar a day (for 3 people) for something that does not work. We've all done it. It's useless. So yeah, at this point I am ready to line up with my kids in the "please cut this out of me" line. Freaky but probably the smartest thing I could do at this point.

House stuff still has me stressing. I think what gets me is the waiting on everybody else part. God, I hate waiting on everybody else. I'm a just do it myself kind of gal. I hate waiting on people. Especially when said people don't do things when I want or need them done. Drives me crazy. We've got the inspection done and that's it so far. I'll say it again. I just can't wait for all of this to be over and done with. I'm ready to move. And to paint. I'm oddly thrilled to find that the inspection revealed that there are two bathrooms that have to be gutted to have the subfloors replaced. Wow. I'm so weird. And I think it must be some kind of karmic payback that even so, the butt ugly pink tile shower will not be coming out. Not a thing wrong with it. What decorating injustice have I perpetrated that makes me deserving of being stuck with a baby pink tile shower? It's a travesty.

I'm a wee bit obsessed by the pink bathroom, I confess. I'm in a pink panic. I have been making plans and I can either just embrace the pink and try a retro look (shoot me now) or I can try to hide it by finding a color that will tone down the pink (not having much luck). In the end I think we're going to go for just suffering through it. We'll add white beadboard to the room for an old country feel, and just coordinate without adding any more pink. Leirin and I have been taking a piece of pink construction paper around and holding it up to every color we can find to see what tones it down. Sadly, the one that seems to do that is a very brown toned RED. I can see it now. Welcome to my valentine potty. Heart shaped toilet anyone? I can see me not, shopping for a red fur toilet tank cover.

I'm so screwed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home