Time And Tide

Yesterday is not ours to recover, but tomorrow is ours to win or to lose. Lyndon B.Johnson

Thursday, March 18, 2004

Ok so I've been grumpy. We all have. This housebuying thing isn't for the weak that enjoy the stability of life, oh no. It's stressing, maddening even. I'm just so uptight I can hardly stand myself. I hope now that I've recognized it, I can change it. I wonder what will happen to me when I land in a new house with all those rooms to redo. Can't think of that now, I'll think about it tomorrow. After all, tomorrow is another day.
Lots of things have been happening here. Cool stuff that I've just been too damn grumpy to appreciate. But I remember them, so I'll write about them now. Sunday morning Jake was still asleep on the couch in our bedroom and Leirin was sitting on our bed talking to me while I fixed my hair. Jake started talking so I was answering him. It took a minute for me to realize what he was saying and what I was saying was in no way related.
"Is he asleep" I asked Leirin
"Well his eyes are open but they're rolled back in his head.
Dreaming. He was having vivid dreams through which he would actually say everything he said in his dream

"ALERT! ALERT! SKITTLES!"
"Run! If they touch us we'll die!"

"Way to go mom! We saved the golden crown."
"Whew! We made it to the museum just in time. Let's go get our reward."
"We won a year's vacation! YIPPEEEE!"

Between each dream he would make this humming sound. The humming was not unlike chanting OHMMMMM. He would get quiet for maybe a full minute and then he'd start chattering away again. One dream was about being on a pirate ship (which is a recurring theme in his dreams), there was the killer skittles, the legend of the golden crown, and about 3 others. One dream had us laughing so hard I thought surely we'd wake him up.
"It's a monster! Ruuuunnnn!"
(under the covers his little feet were just a going, reminded me of a dog chasing rabbits in their sleep)
"She ran into the wall, YAY!"
"Keep running! Here she comes!" (feet again)
I'm not sure how he knew the monster was a girl and he moved on to another dream (about snakes) before we got to hear the end of that one. For nearly 45 minutes he slept and talked. Every detail of every dream that he experienced, so did we. Very entertaining.

It was late Sunday evening when my father-in-law returned from his trip to get his dog. When he came in he started telling about going to see the Russian Circus. It sounds like a very cool show. I'd love to see it. Anyway, he is standing there rubbing his bald head when he says, "I didn't tell you why I went down (to Alabama)." We both shook our heads no and he rubbed his head a little more.
"Well, I asked Libby to marry me."
Us: "Who's Libby?"
We didn't know who Libby was (a childhood friend of his - the daughter of his mother's best friend, that Doug remembers hearing mention of many times, and he's met her a time or two, he thinks) but we're very happy for him. They don't know if they will live here or in Alabama, but it will all work out, I'm sure. Apparently he left without having any of the details planned out. The reason he was so many days late coming home was it took that long to let her think it over. Neither of us were aware that there was anyone he cared about enough to marry, but we are glad there is. It's been a little over seven years since my mother-in-law died and he is lonely. So congratulations for my father-in-law and Libby whoeveryouare.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home