Time And Tide

Yesterday is not ours to recover, but tomorrow is ours to win or to lose. Lyndon B.Johnson

Sunday, March 14, 2004

The clock just chimed 6, it's nowhere near daybreak outside and here I sit with freshly brewed coffee in hand, yawning like I haven't slept in days. I've been up for nearly an hour already and I just can't figure what's wrong with me. On any given weekday I can pull the covers over my head and sleep like a rock - or like somebody hit me over the head with a rock - until long past time when the girls should have been awakened to get ready for school. On the weekends though, you can bet your booty I'll be up long before the sun. Silly me. It is very quiet in the house with the exception of my father-in-law's fat basset and his moaning. Woo wooo wooo wooo wooo wooo every second of the day. That's the noisiest dog I've ever seen in my life. If he ever gets quiet, you can be sure he's asleep or dead. He's not unhappy, he's just a big talker, and he's a sweet sweet dog, really he is, but he stops being quite so cute on the 3rd day after my FIL was SUPPOSED to pick him up.

Tomorrow is Jacob's 7th birthday. Happy birthday my man Jake! Today our family will be coming over to visit for a while and his big sleepover birthday party will be next Friday night. He had a very hard time understanding the waiting for 4 days before having the big sleepover night. I remember weekday birthdays weren't the greatest thing when I was a kid either. Yesterday we went to walmart and he chose the pokemon sapphire gameboy game that he doesn't have yet. While we were there, he and Leirin picked out chairs for their new bedrooms and I chose the television and entertainment center for the kids livingroom. For the holidays this year we are pretty sure each of the kids will get a bicycle since our new house will have a place to ride. There is also the basketball goal they want since the drive is paved. Looks like their list of wants for the new house is going to end up pretty near as long as mine is.

Through the skylight in my office I can see the outline of the bare limbs of the big oak tree out back. The sky is now a definite dark shade of blue instead of black. I guess the sun will be up well before 7. I love the break of day when it's dark, but not dark exactly and it feels like you're in between times. When I was little, dusk was my favorite time of day. The glowing light of firefly tails sparkled around the yard, in the grass at the edge of the porch we could hear the little frogs and crickets rustle the fine blades as they moved along to whatever place they were going to spend the night. The buttercups, in the shadows, looked like little flower people standing at the edge of the shadows, supervising the change from day to night. Sometimes, we would see bats fly across the yard as they went off looking for their nightly meal. Daybreak has that same kind of peaceful feeling, only more of it. In the dark of the morning, roles are reversed. A few of us are awake to watch as the night world heads home to settle in for rest, while we gear up for the business of day. It is those in between times that I like the very most. It's 20 minutes till 7 now and the sky has lightened to a dull gray showing true that the weatherman was right about the clouds. Looks like we'll have plenty of them unless they break later on. In the big oak outside the skylight, I can see birds now standing on the empty branches looking around quickly before deciding which way to fly. Breakfast rush hour in the land of the birds. I'm sure the squirrels are out en force also but they don't come to our yard for breakfast. We have lots of cats so the squirrels tend to avoid even walking the power lines that stretch across the front of our yard. They take the long way around.

6:45 now and I'm on my second cup of coffee. This one will go much faster than the first. There is much to do today before the family arrives. After the party, the man from the bank will be here with papers for us to sign. Very nice man at the bank is coming here since Doug has had absolutely no down time at work. I hope the timing works out like we have it planned. Even the Sunday off is packed full of things to do here lately.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home