Time And Tide

Yesterday is not ours to recover, but tomorrow is ours to win or to lose. Lyndon B.Johnson

Thursday, February 19, 2004

Busy, busy, busy! I've been cleaning the basement and the rest of the house like a mad woman. It makes me feel good, while stuck waiting on things I can do nothing about at this point, to be busy. And at the very least, in the end I'll be organized. Unless we move, that is, then I get to start organizing all over again. It feels good to let go of things and make decisions though. My kitchen looks so wonderful tonight I thought I'd surely miss my beautiful granite sink and copper faucet when we move. Too bad I can't take them with me.

From 8:00 this morning until 4:00 this afternoon I had the tedious job of sorting through two years of cash paid out receipts that were saved from our basement flood in the year of the busted condensor pump (last year). I had to sort by year and then write the total of every receipt down by category (food, office, maintenance and repair, etc) and now they have to be added up so we can finally get our taxes done. There are only a couple of things I haven't been able to find copies of or recreate. What a pain in the ass taxes are. Hate them! I have had to read so many waterlogged, ink faded receipts I'm about to go blind. It's finished now though WHEW. Thank goodness! No more receipts for me and I'm glad that the husband has started tracking all this stuff daily in his handy-dandy notebook. I am done forever! I faxed reports to the state employment security commission and the state DSS office and I no longer have paperwork waiting except for some state forms that have to be mailed by the 28th. GO ME!

Finally, shortly after 4:00, I dragged my sorry butt from the office chair and slogged off to start housework that I hadn't lifted a finger to do yet. Beds unmade, sinks in dire need of swishing, toilets, laundry piled sky high, you name it, I hadn't done it. I started in my bedroom because I can not relax if it's not clean. It didn't take long to get it to the point where vacuuming would be sufficient and I went into the kitchen to start dinner. Doug was supposed to be home tonight but he's having one of those days and 5 people had called in sick for the dinner shift. The dogs were all underfoot so I decided to let them out back to play for a bit. I opened the door to the most perfect day we've had since early Fall. The sun was shining and it was toasty warm. I could almost smell the earth waking from her long winter's nap. The air is green and Spring will be here before long. For a second, standing there in the doorway I imagined myself hanging clothes on the line (at our new house, of course, I don't have a clothes line here) and the smell of acres of green grass, horses, and hay. I have been consumed by it, I know. I can do nothing without thinking about doing that same thing in the new house.

It's been 12 hours now since I started working this morning. I'm going to have a nice, hot bath and spend the rest of the evening sitting in bed, working on the laptop. Assuming I can stay awake that is. Now that I've sat down I'm feeling mighty sleepy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home