Time And Tide

Yesterday is not ours to recover, but tomorrow is ours to win or to lose. Lyndon B.Johnson

Thursday, February 12, 2004

Itsy Bitsy Spider

I have been bitten by a brown recluse. The doctor said there isn't really any treatment he can offer (I'm not sure how confident I am in this particular doctor I had to see today). He advised keeping the bite area clean and if it gets much bigger he mentioned putting me under the care of a surgeon that can properly maintain the affected area to avoid as much skin
loss as possible. I'm not sure how comfortable I am with just waiting around to see how much of my leg might rot off. I mean, I saw pictures of the bites yesterday when I was trying to decide for sure if that's what I thought this was and EWWWWW. I'd just wait for that to happen to me? I'm all about the medicine. Some things I can wait through, fevers, flue, colds, allergies, they pass but wait for a softball sized hole to appear? Don't think so. EWWWW again.
Actually it doesn't appear to be that kind of bad. This morning it is not any bigger though the bugger does hurt like I've dropped my entire calf into a fryer. It's amazing how fast and unexpected things can sneak up on ya. By the time I noticed the bite was more than just a sore place with nothing visible there, I had black skin. One more time, EWWWWW.
Scary spiders. Bad spiders.
It isn't the first time I've been bitten by one. Several years ago I squashed one with my knee that I had apparently scared out of it's dark corner of a bookcase under the window when we were moving furniture. It hurt like crazy but nothing turned all balck and gross. Doug was bitten several years ago and his story, while not as filled with the horror of some I've read about while trying to identify this one, is horror enough. He has a scar deep enough to sit a soft ball in and hold it on the outer part of his thigh just like you'd up a golf ball. It's deep and ugly and it took forever to heal.
I have plans for that side of my leg. I'd kind of like it to remain in tact.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home