Time And Tide

Yesterday is not ours to recover, but tomorrow is ours to win or to lose. Lyndon B.Johnson

Wednesday, February 11, 2004

You want the good news or bad news?
According to the inspector, news on the house is good. Nothing needs to be done that I can't fix, except the repairs on a crappy shingle job. The bad news? If we'd have paid him to do the inspection to find problems, we'd have wasted a lot of money. It's built like a castle. In a hundred years the house has not settled. There is not one stress fracture to be found. The attic is dry and the Gods must be happy with me because the attic is big enough to finish! WooHoo! An attic remodel of my very own. Eventually, that is. Plenty of time for Linda to plan a quick vacation with me. I'll show her how to get a job done. We won't ask any men to help. ;)

If I don't get to live in this house I'll just curl up and die. Not really, I guess, but it will be bad.

Yesterday I painted the closet doors and completed touch-up work in our bathroom. All that is left to do in there is redo the caulking around the tub and repair a couple of tiles in the floor. The bedroom is now ready for a floor and all work there is done. Today I'm painting the French doors (they are turning out lovely so far but it's a pain to paint small paned glass trim) and getting ready to do the repair work in the bay window and put trim in the kitchen. I hate trim work. Most of my house is missing the trim because I put it off for absolutely as long as I can. I don't like doing it. The good news is I don't have to do the built ins I was planning for the office. If I'm leaving here I don't care where the people who move in put their books. The probably won't have as many as me so they won't need shelves in every room 5 book cases and built-ins too. Good break for me.

Last night I got a call from my friend Michelle. She makes me wish I wasn't so afraid of flying. I'd be on a plane to Australia and have myself a visit with her if I weren't. She says we must be twins separated at birth. I agree. We are so much alike. I don't understand why all the people I've met that I love dearly and can be real friends with have to live a world away. Why I can't make friends like that here at home is beyond me. I meet people but I have yet to meet anyone I have a lot in common with except for Sharon. Sharon is Sarah's mom (that's a friend of Leirin) and she is the first friend I've made in real life in ten years. She fixes stuff in her house all the time too. She's funny and smart and the first person I've felt really comfortable with in a long time. She reads my book when I have something new and she will note her suggestions but my favorite part is how she highlights parts she likes in yellow (gold bars instead of gold stars) so I can look back over it and know they are good. Sounds like I should ask her out doesn't it? I don't think it's that I have a hard time making friends, I just have trouble finding people I have things in common with and I hate that when I do find them, all but one live far far away.

In other news, Jake has lost his first tooth. Naturally it is one that did not need repair (he has genetically bad teeth). Seven thousand dollars worth of bad teeth in his mouth waiting to be worked on and he has to lose a good one first. Go figure.

Emily is home from school sick again today. She can't keep anything on her stomach. I think it's because of her sinuses but we're heading to the doctor later today to see if they can at least help with the sickness. Besides, we need that all important 80 dollar doctor's note for school. Hate that. They make all these rules about when kids can't come to school for things not requiring a doctor's visit but expect you to make one to get a note. It's expensive.

School will take twice as long today because Emily is home again and Jake has a hard time concentrating when people who aren't usually here are here. It makes getting anything done difficult. I also have to paint the French doors and get read to put the trim in the office. It never ends.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home