Time And Tide

Yesterday is not ours to recover, but tomorrow is ours to win or to lose. Lyndon B.Johnson

Saturday, January 31, 2004

Punch Bowl Party

It's almost here. The Superbowl. Jake was sitting with me at the table this evening eating a bologna sandwich (I had to cook supper) and he was telling me about his trip to the store with his dad. "Do you know what Dad told me he did when he went to a punch bowl party when he was a kid?" his eyes were big and his smile told me it must have been something good, "He went up to the line (of food) and got all the cookies!" By this time his whole face was alight with the pleasure of that idea. "Dad said he's going to make some cookies for our punch bowl party tomorrow."
That's just what he was doing in the middle of a break he had at work earlier this evening. One of his cooks went AWOL and he's stuck there and naturally, that means I'm stuck here cleaning house and trying to get ready to have more than 30 people stuffed into my livingroom to watch the game tomorrow night.
I was reminded today why I should follow flylady more closely. There is enough dust in my curtains to fill a grave, cobwebs haven't been knocked from their corners in quite some time and there are a bazillion little jobs that I really should be making time to get to before tackling another job (like those built in's I'm about to start in the office). That's just the way I am. It's how I work best I reckon. I'm not sure why.
Sure enough, my kitchen will need new flooring before I get the baseboard trim down. At least that will make laying the new floor - vinyl, no more wood - much easier than if I had to remove baseboards first. I'll call it long-term planning. Looking ahead.
That makes me a visionary. I like that better than she-who-never-completes-squat.
Truth is, I've run completely out of motivation for this house. I'm not happy here. Hate it. Don't like it one bit. So I don't enjoy working on it anymore. I realized a short while back that all the fixing up in the world isn't going to make this house my home and now I'm ready to get out of Dodge. If things work out with this new house, we should be ready to move within the year. Yee Haa!
Back to the punch bowl...I've cleaned and cleaned and cleaned today. Curtains are vacuumed and much lighter in the dust department. If I'd have had time to wash them I would have but I just couldn't fit it in. I'm amazed at what I go through for company. It's not like any of the people who are coming tomorrow have ever stopped by just to visit, it's not like they will do so once tomorrow is over, but I actually considered washing curtains. True, it would save me the embarrassment of my curtains causing someone to suffer an asthma attack but it goes far beyond that. Since I don't work people tend to think I don't "work" and I feel like I can never justify my house being messy whenever someone does happen to come by. The house is a direct reflection on ME and it just kills me to think of it not being finished by the time people start showing up. Nevermind the fact that it will be completely trashed by the time they leave, it simply must be clean upon their arrival. And so I spend the last two days - my weekend - cleaning like a fiend so we don't have laundry waiting to be washed or splatters on the faucets or trash needing to be taken out...you know...like we don't actually LIVE here.
Why? It's beyond me but it's how I am. Not that it will ever make it to perfection no matter how much I clean. I still have rooms that need flooring and there's that trim I mentioned before that's not only lacking in the kitchen but in most of the other rooms too. I guess I'd just like to come to a day when the house seems finished. And well, I just wish it looked more "done".
I guess I get that from my mama. She always kept our house ready for company and even then she'd apologize for the way it looked. Oh well.
So anyway the punch bowl is tomorrow with clean up immediately after. I'm gonna need a vacation after all this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home