Time And Tide

Yesterday is not ours to recover, but tomorrow is ours to win or to lose. Lyndon B.Johnson

Tuesday, May 11, 2004

I stayed awake all day yesterday except for the couple of times I dozed off while reading and snatched a ten minute nap. It was a busy day. Doug took me shopping for an air compressor so I can spray the paint (this is assuming I learn how to use it well - I really hope I can). I will eventually get the sandblaster and nail gun. Those are both pretty dang cool. Leirin can't wait to try air brushing since we bought that kit to go with it too.
Doug has been plagued with car trouble lately. The Acura had a busted radiator. Got that fixed only to have the heater coil bust and find out that will cost 900 dollars to fix. For the moment the heating system has been bypassed and all it will mean is no heat come winter time which, for the moment, is ok, but that is only because it was over 90 degrees yesterday. We'll both be looking to light a fire in it come cold weather. We have some time to make a decision or get a new car though. So while the Acura was in the shop yesterday awaiting the diagnosis he drove the Mustang. I followed him in to work so he could drop it off for new tires. While we've worked on the restoration we just kept the dry rotting tires filled with air and didn't intend to put new tires on it until it was actually driven regularly. Idling in the drive doesn't require decent tread. At shortly after 3 I got a call from Doug saying he ran out of gas (gas meter thingy is apparently broken and doesn't move below 1/4 tank) and could I bring gas? Sure. Cranked right up but didn't run worth a crap after that. When he stopped to fill the tank at the gas station it wouldn't crank up again.
Sometimes I really regret that I ever bought that car for him. I grew up spending weekends doing something to the cars. It's the thing to do. You change the oil, clean the plugs, take something apart, or just take it off, because...well, I'm not sure about the because part. It's just what we did. Must be a redneck right of passage. Now that cars are a lot more complicated, I don't know squat about them. I really wish he could have loved that car. He does love it but only when it works...forget the restoring part and a car is like a woman really. You can't leave her sitting until you need her in an emergency and expect performance. With the way work goes for him, he doesn't have time to enjoy things like tinkering with cars, so it treats him like a woman scorned. I wish he did, but honestly that car is my dream, not his. He would have much preferred an old Porsche or Mazda RX whatever it was (7?) One of those might have held his interest in spite of work or at least motivated him to have me arrange for restoration. The 1966 Mustang was, and still is, my favorite. If the seat came up far enough for me to push the clutch all the way in and still see over the steering wheel and it had power steering, I'd claim it for myself. That's an awful lot of ifs though.I don't know what we will end up doing.

3 Comments:

Blogger AGK said...

Snazzy new look over here, too :) Get lots of rest - you deserve it!

4:44 PM  
Blogger Brent said...

My grandfather was a mechanic, worked on cars all his life. He once told me that one day most people wouldn't be able to work on their cars. I didn't believe him. That day is finally here.

8:19 PM  
Blogger Brent said...

WOW, I really like the new look!!!!

7:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home