Time And Tide

Yesterday is not ours to recover, but tomorrow is ours to win or to lose. Lyndon B.Johnson

Friday, June 25, 2004

Progress

The last week has brought progress in a lot of areas. My toe is feeling better and I no longer need the walking stick to get around. It still looks pretty yucky but it's doing a lot better.
The house is coming together too. Last night I started laying the tile in the entry and it is going to be incredible if I do say so myself.
In fact, the husband said so himself so it must be so.
It didn't start out looking like it was going to be that great. I'd had the plan - a good plan - 16 inch tiles laid out in a diamond pattern down the length of the floor, a border of 12 inch tiles all along the outside edges against the wall and in the blank spaces between the 16 inch tiles, a 12 inch tile surrounded by 2 inch tiles.
Good plan except when I got home from buying my 12 and 2 inch tiles the 16's turned out to be 18's and that extra 2 inches really messed me (and my plans) up.
I spent a couple of hours yesterday laying out dry runs and trying to figure out what in the world I was going to do to pull this one off. After dinner I made a run to Lowes to see what I could find. The tile Gods must have rushed right out and stocked the shelves because I found a perfect tumbled marble tile in just the right shade in a 3 inch size. Thank you tile Gods!
So now I had a plan again. I had such a good plan that last night I decided to get a jump on it in hopes I could have it finished by the end of the day today. Wouldn't you know, the stone tiles are too thick for me to cut with the manual cutter that I have. It's a no go. A no scratch even. So in a little while I'm off to Lowes again to buy a wet saw. There goes my cheap floor.an
Still, it's going to be awesome. I can't help but stop every time I start to walk through the entry and think "Holy crap. I'm really going to do that and it's going to be great."
It looks that good so far.
And it's not all bad. I get a new toy.
Let's see...oh yes, the bookcases are up and only a few shelves need to be added and the library will be complete. Mostly complete. I'm sure I will find other jobs in here before I'm done and I do still have to put the quarter round down now that all the built in stuff is done. Floor the most part though, rooms are being emptied of boxes and they are beginning to look like they might function like we intend them to. Thank goodness. This moving stuff is hard.
The tractor is still in the shop so grass hasn't been cut yet. We inch closer and closer to needing a bush hog every day. Soon we will have to return the truck and utility trailer that we've borrowed and we won't have a way to get the tractor back here. "Hurry up Lawn Mower Repair Man! We have jungle weeds!"
My grandma came down yesterday to spend the night with us. All day yesterday we piddled around the house unpacking boxes, hanging curtains, deciding where to put this and that. She's so much fun. At the age of 78 she can work circles around me in the house even with a quadruple by-pass and two knee-replacement surgeries behind her. What spunk! The kids are so excited to have her here for a visit and I love her company, as always. She is so fun (and funny) and full of life. She makes everything fun. Yesterday morning before I went to pick her up, our stock broker had stopped by her house to pick up something that my mom had left for him because he's going to be her broker now too. My grandma told me later on "That little boy came by to pick up the stuff your mom left for him. He's such a sweet thing. Very nice, polite. Cute too."
I think she wanted to keep him.
The "little boy" is over 30 (though just barely). When he called me on the phone yesterday afternoon he said "Your grandma is a lot of fun. It seems like she should be a lot younger."
She has the playful silliness of a child, it's true. She's my favorite person in the world.
And now I should get going. You know it's bad when a seven year-old boy stands in front of an open dresser drawer and says "Mom, you haven't been doing enough laundry. I don't have any shorts to sleep in."

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

You must post a picture of your tile work :) My kids have been looking at empty drawers for three days now. You'd think they'd take the hint and do the laundry themselves ;)

3:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home