Time And Tide

Yesterday is not ours to recover, but tomorrow is ours to win or to lose. Lyndon B.Johnson

Friday, June 11, 2004

Hey Lolly, Lolly!

I'm sitting here sipping my coffee watching birds fly and looking up and out the window every few minutes just in case the satellite hook up man decides to come soon. "Sometime between 8am and 12 noon," the customer service woman told me. Now that's a window. I'm hoping it's closer to noon because I'm so sore I can't possibly lift my legs or raise my arms to put on real clothes yet, so I'm sitting here in my pjs (soft flannel pants and a t-shirt - which is still completely respectable if he should come but it might be better if they matched, or even if they matched more than my pink and green pants and sky blue shirt)
Earlier will certainly be more convenient for the satellite man. It's going to be hot today and underneath the back part of the house there is just enough room to squeeze an average sized body into.Insulation hangs thick from the floors. There are rock walls built up to support floors that run the full width of the house to keep floors from sagging (and it's worked incredible magic in every room except one) who knows what's under there besides insulation and water pipe? Our dog Corri does, but it scared her so bad she wouldn't turn around and find her way out on the side she snuck (sneaked?) in on and we had to cut out a vent to let her escape because she refused to leave that spot ever again. Makes me think of Arsenic and Old Lace. I really love that movie.
Installing the satellite cable is NOT going to be a fun or easy job. I pity the man. I'm still going to have it done, of course, but I'll feel sorry for him. I just hope he doesn't come scooting out of that little opening with eyes wide and screaming like a banshee. It's that spooky looking up under there.

In true Me fashion, we've picked up another stray. Actually, he picked us up. We walked out the door one day to grab another load of boxes and there he was sitting by the van - covered in ticks and looking like he hasn't had a drink in a while. It is not likely that he is a stray. He is well trained. The threat of a hit or kick will get him to do anything you tell him to. He's been so badly abused that someone smoking can send him into an on-the-spot peeing and pooping frenzy when they raise their hand to their mouth. Not up in the air. Not pointing. Scratch your head even and this dog will drop and do the Rambo crawl. It's pitiful. He's well behaved, he listens and follows instructions well and he responds to (GASP) love and affection! NO WAY! That can't possibly be working!
Stupid people that are mean to dogs (any animal) piss me off. I'd like to jerk a knot in their ass.
I'd teach'em submission.

Anyway our little wandering buddy will be staying with us if he wants. He would like to be our front porch dog. Our vet will be coming out next week to do exams and shots for all the animals. We'll just throw him in line too. What the heck, we had six dogs living on less than an acre, surely we can fit eight here. Can't we? That fact makes it seem wrong to turn him away. Doug came home from packing up a load, saw the dog and said, "How do you do that?"
(...shrug...) They find me, I don't go looking.
Doug is the BEST. He never gets angry, never turns them away. He has watched that little dog and said "He will need a name." What a great man.

Today I start trying to put together the bookcases in the library. I can't build the desk until that is done and books have been unpacked. I really need that room organized. Business paperwork never ends. Already I can't find my box of bills that needs to be paid (yes, hindsight tells me NOW that I should have done that before we moved) and I have things I've done in the last few days waiting in a drawer to be properly filed. I can see how this can easily turn catastrophic.
I found my camera yesterday so I hope to have some pictures to put up later today or in the morning. It depends on what I manage to get done.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home