Time And Tide

Yesterday is not ours to recover, but tomorrow is ours to win or to lose. Lyndon B.Johnson

Tuesday, June 15, 2004

Backwards

The new desk is almost complete. I have a few more trim pieces to add and finish once the placement of the desk has been determined. That's quickly becoming the most difficult part - the placement. I am having a hard time deciding which area is going to make the best use of the space and let me store files and everything else I need nearby without being in the way. Baseboard heat is infinitely more difficult to work around than floor registers. I am considering adding a lower shelf for storing the extra printer stuff.
Decisions, decisions.
If I put the desk in front of the window that means the legs are right in front of the baseboard heat strip. Not good, come winter. If I put it on the wall to the left (which is the only other available one) it only leaves enough wallspace for one cabinet. Period. A hutch shelf would work beautifully, but where would the other file cabinets go? I know, I know, I'm supposed to have this stuff figured out BEFORE I start building. Well, I don't work that way. I very often work backwards.
Wherever it goes it's going to be fab. The top is slick as glass and very shiny. I put a spar varnish marine finish on it. That sucker is going to be able to withstand the roof caving in and never take a scratch.
Hmmm, if I build a section of desk to work around the corner, I can line up the file cabinets on the other side and complete the highly efficient L shaped work area.
Don't mind me. I'm just planning. Pretty soon I'll have the plan worked out and I'll be what is generally considered the first step, only that will mean I'm done. That's when working backwards is cool. I'm finished at Step One where most people are just getting started.
The fence will be finished sometime today. It went along well yesterday until the rain kept coming in waves of torrential downpour. At first they just worked through it, but by the time they got ten feet away from the finish, it became too much. Tools were too wet to keep a grip on, water was dripping into eyes making it hard to see. It was decided that the last hour or so of work was best left for today when (hopefully) it wouldn't be raining. I told them to keep their calendars clear in the fall because the pasture fencing job can be theirs. They are an efficient bunch.
And they work for beer, supper, and a few bucks. Can't beat that.
At some point today I need to go back to the old house and load up more stuff. We're getting down to the wire there. It's almost empty and honestly, what's left, will probably (mostly) end up being trash. I have a few more tools and a piece or two of restaurant equipment Doug plans to store in one of the buildings. I hate those things. There is only two so-so big pieces of furniture left - a curio cabinet and a cedar wardrobe. I have no idea where either of them are going to go. Must plan that out today. See? Backwards.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I'm backwards that way too :) It's the exciting and exhausting part of making a new house a home.

7:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home