Time And Tide

Yesterday is not ours to recover, but tomorrow is ours to win or to lose. Lyndon B.Johnson

Monday, June 14, 2004

First Contact

The dogs have taken to barking. At everything. It all started with the first sighting of deer in the yard. They had been so quiet up to that point, so when all hell broke loose, I ran to the window to see what was happening. At first glance, from that far away, I thought it must be a stray dog. We have managed to acquire two stray dogs in the week that we’ve been here so that seemed logical. She was standing, frozen by the gap in the trees she had just passed through. The dogs chose to keep a safe barking distance at that point. It was when she lifted her head and I realized how much taller she was than Gimli, our big, Black Lab, that my mind said “deer”.
She must have heard my thoughts telepathically because in that instant she lurched, completing a U-Turn in mid-air (they are amazingly agile!). In that same instant my dogs realized “HEY! We’re supposed to chase that funky looking thing!” and they took off after her. They gave happy chase all the way to the edge of the woods where, for some unknown reason (cougar?) my dogs all fear to go, but they continued to prance around the yard, sniffing the spot where she stood and barking like “Yeah! We showed that thing what’s what. Who’s the big dog?”
That’s an awful lot of attitude in a group of dogs where only one claims weight of more than 20 pounds, and he has a tendency to bark at what’s out front while he’s blazing a trail around to the back door where it’s safe.
So now they just bark at every sound because, who knows, it might be another one of those weird looking brown things.
The fence is due to be installed today, assuming rain doesn’t come (again) and postpone the work, and I’m hoping that in having an area of the yard that isn’t visible to them might bring the deer back again for us to enjoy. And once we get the fence in, we get to have goats – OH BOY!
Have I mentioned how much I love this place?

In other news, my shoulder is feeling a good bit better. I can't lift much yet without causing blinding pain and by the end of the day just the weight of my arm hanging there makes me ill. The sling helps take some of the weight off though and it eases after a while. Thank goodness I don't have to be the one to dig the fence post holes today. It will be quite a while before I'm ready for that, I think.

1 Comments:

Blogger Scott said...

Haha, Gimli sounds like a fun dog :) He reminds me of my part Lab I had for thirteen years.

2:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home