Time And Tide

Yesterday is not ours to recover, but tomorrow is ours to win or to lose. Lyndon B.Johnson

Wednesday, October 29, 2003

Old friends and the pox (still)

Jakey is going to miss Halloween and I'm bummed. He has this adorable bullfrog costume but he will be all dressed up with no place to go. It hurts me for him to have to miss it. If he would have just broke out with the pox and been done with it we'd be set, but no, he has to break out one spot at a time for six whole days. His birthday party had to be cancelled this year too because we (we all, actually) had the flu. It's just bad. Bad, bad, BAD. I hate having to disappoint him so. So any suggestions on how to entertain a broken hearted, rather-be-out-gathering-candy-than-be-here six year-old, stuck at home alone while his sisters gather the candy boodle...just let me know. I appreciate any ideas. ANYTHING.

I heard from an old friend last night. He's not old really, I'm still way older than him no matter that he's eight years older than when I last saw him. He lived with me and Doug during his last year of college after his parents moved out of town. It was just me, Doug and Leirin at the time. I was pregnant with Emily when he graduated and joined the Air Force through the ROTC program at the university. After graduation he moved to Oklahoma to finish his AF schooling and then was on to Greenland. Now he lives in England with his wife and they are expecting their first baby.

I've missed him. When Leirin was a baby and I had nowhere to go and a complete shortage of dates, he was my friend. He knew I was sitting at home the majority of the time so when he had nothing better to do, he would rent movies and we'd hang out. When his date plans got cancelled, he'd take me to the nice dinner place so he wouldn't have to cancel reservations. When Doug and I first started dating, he still ended up being my date because Doug would be working all the time. So Chaz and I would load up and go out...sometimes to Dougs, and sometimes to dinner just so I wasn't sitting at home and Chaz wasn't sitting at home. Alone. When we had each other neither of us ever had to be alone.

It wasn't really like we were each other's last ditch plans. Though it often turned out that way, we often planned things together ahead of time and had "dates" of our own that didn't start off being planned with someone else. We just always knew the other was there. We were just buds. Great buds. And I have sure missed him. For many years he was the constant in my life - my best friend. Friends like that are hard to come by.

And now he's in town and Jake has the chickenpox and I'm not sure if it's safe for him to come over. I'd really really hate to send chickenpox home to his baby. He's going to check and if all is safe, I'll see him today. In fact, he said he'd come see me even if he has to stand in the yard and talk to me through the living room window but I hope it doesn't have to be that way. I'd love to sit at the table with him again and talk about what's been going on. True, it will be hard to catch up on many years that have passed but we'll give it a go, trade email addresses again since he is in a place where he will be staying for a while and maybe this time we won't lose track of each other. That way I'll get to know when his baby girl gets here and what name they decide on and other important things like that. Like it should be with friends.





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home