Time And Tide

Yesterday is not ours to recover, but tomorrow is ours to win or to lose. Lyndon B.Johnson

Tuesday, October 28, 2003

The clock just chimed the half hour. Half past 5. That's a.m. And get this, I've been up for an hour and a half already. Sometimes it happens and I'm not sure where it comes from. I'm just glad it doesn't come that often. I love the quiet but I sure don't enjoy running out of gas right about the time everyone else is gearing up for the day. Neatest thing happened this morning though. I woke up with fixed hair. I don't know how it happened. Last night I showered, washed my hair, brushed it a little and rubbed a little dab of my favorite no frizz stuff through it like always and this morning, voila! I have wavy curls of beautifully "done" hair. Watch it flop by 7.

To go with my pretty hair I have a huge patch on my left eye - the one that has been swollen shut for a couple of days now because of the horrid stye. I'm self medicating and the patch was my latest and greatest idea. The first one was dog medicine. That's right. Our old Brandy-dog has to keep opthalmic ointment on hand because she has a tendency to get these little cysts on her eyeballs and eww they can get rough in no time. So I keep ointment. A couple of nights ago when I went to return movies, I ran into the pharmacy next door to pick up some of that OTC stye cream to see if it might help my eye. Em was with me and we strolled through the medicines looking for eye stuff. A ten minute browse through the thousands of bottles of eye drops and washes and soon we had a box of stye ointment. $8.99 - WHOA, what's in that stuff? I wondered. So I flipped it over to have a look.

Active ingredients: petroleum jelly and mineral oil

WHAT! I could spend two dollars on a jar of vaseline and a bottle of mineral oil and have enough stuff on hand to produce a million of these tiny tubes and they are going to charge me 9 bucks for one? No way. Not that I'd use it anyway after reading the ingredients. We don't use petroleum products but that's another blog.

So I came home and dug out Brandy-dog's eye ointment and checked the ingredients. Medicine. And an antibiotic. Ah yeah. And it's half the price of the fuel pumped stye cream too...go figure. I read the little information brochure just to make sure but indications were given for both humans and canines so in my eyeball it went. Burns like hell fire. I realize in a few minutes that my eye feels much better, but I have to keep it closed to keep that fire smothered. Hence the huge bandage. Last night was the second treatment with the ointment and the swelling has gone way down and it isn't nearly as sore - as long as I keep my eye closed, that is. At this rate, I should be all better within a couple of days. A huge feat considering that my eyes do this often and ones this bad usually have to have a scalpel taken to them (and it's not pretty having to watch your eyelid be punched by a small sharp knife - it's hard to hold still in spite of knowing you have to, and no, the numbing drops numb the eyeball but apparently doesn't make it to the place they actually do the cutting. It hurts). I'm willing to try doggie meds to avoid it. The itchthamol ointment didn't work, but it isn't for eyes (great for burns and splinters though) so I'm hoping this will. Will report findings to the human and animal medical community (my doc and my vet).

In other news, we have gnats. I'm not sure what they are after. I've gone through all the cabinets and food places, cleaned sink drains, bleached every surface and still they swarm. Not anything in particular, they're just here. All over the place. maybe they are just looking for someplace warm and dry to sleep. If it would get cold enough I'd leave the windows open and freeze the buggers out, but it hasn't yet. It's pretty chilly this morning but not cold. Far from it. I don't know why we ended up with them but they are insisting they don't want to go away. If I could leave the house I'd go stock up on battle gear for gnat war, but I can't. I'm under house arrest again. Jake now has the chicken pox.

Welcome to the house of the afflicted. (insert Vincent Price laugh here)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home