Time And Tide

Yesterday is not ours to recover, but tomorrow is ours to win or to lose. Lyndon B.Johnson

Thursday, October 23, 2003

I've said before that days like this are made just for me. Well, I still believe it. I stepped outside at 6:15 this morning to put the garbage in the can and I had to stop and spin around in the perfect stillness of the morning. With nearly all of the porch lights in the neighborhood off, I could see through the breaks in low lying clouds, STARS! Millions and bazillions of stars. Big bright and twinkling, a big wink from the heavens just for me. It had to be. I was the only one out there. The air is the kind of cool that it takes a little while to realize it's actually nippy and that if you're going to stand out there in your pajamas for any amount of time, you're going to need a warm robe to wrap around you. The holly tree, whatever kind it is that blooms with a scent that if bottled would cost hundreds of dollars an ounce, is still intoxicating. It's going to be a good day - no matter what. Like the first batch of homemade ice cream in the spring, a really cold beer after hard work in the summer's heat, like baby's tiny, wrinkled feet...perfect, and worth waiting for.

Perfect morning. Another one. Just for me.

This weekend the time will change and dark will come before dinner. I'm not too crazy about that until it moves to a little bit later. Every year it is a shock to my system. It makes me sleepy long before 11:00 and I feel like I'm eating a too late dinner every day. It seems to have the same effect on the kids too, and that's not a bad thing. It's really difficult to get them in bed at a decent hour in the spring when time changes again because "It can't be bedtime! It's still daylight!" so in that respect, at least, it's helpful. But evenings feel rushed when dark will come before homework is finished. It is a big adjustment. It happens every year so you'd think I would be used to it by now, but it manages to mess up my internal clock every time.

It also moves me into holiday mode. It's after the time change that I seriously consider decorations, holiday gifts, where I'll put the tree, and every time I try to fool myself into thinking I'll make this miraculous shift and suddenly become Betty Crocker and I'll bake something. Lots of things. I'm not sure why, but around this time every year I find myself browsing Wal-Mart for things we need and I'll suddenly be standing in front of a display, considering which cookie cutters I'd like to have, if It's possible for kids to actually overdose on sprinkles and where I would store all that flour. For the most part, I manage to resist, though I do have quite a few holiday cookie cutters in my collection (the kids use them to shape play doh - I'm no baker). I'd like to be more holiday baker-ly, but I've tried it, and it's not a good thing. I've learned to live with the urges that strike me while shopping, give in to a select few, and move on.

This year I'm thinking we may not even have a tree. I thought we might enjoy greenery throughout the house instead (considering that with the livingroom re-do we have no place left to put a tree) There is one corner that if I moved the hutch, a tree would fit, but I'm not sure I want one. I'm not sure I like sacrificing a tree every year for a season. Oh I love Christmas trees. They smell good, they give life and energy to a room, but then the cats and dogs drink all the water from the holding tank faster than I can refill it and it dies at an astonishing rate. They pluck decorations from lower hanging branches, get tangled up in lights while trying to climb to the top, and on a couple of occasions have turned it over more than a few times during the season. Then there are needles of the pine kind. They may smell yummy but one in the foot can be a real pain. Makes for a lot of vacuuming.

Who am I kidding? We'll have a tree. Probably a great big huge one too. They do tend to pose a certain amount of problems though that it's evident I don't look forward to because like the cookie cutters and sprinkles, I go through this phase every year too. I just have this guilt thing about Christmas trees. Tis the season for good people to become holiday mafia. "Hey fella...here's 60 bucks. I want you to take that tree down for me. Yeah, that one right there. But I want you to do it right. I'm looking for a slow death, one that will last through New Year's."

Ok, so I'm a little weird. I've never denied it. ;)

Leirin is finally getting better. Yesterday she actually seemed to have energy. She laughed and joked, and she moved around more so she must be getting over the itchies. My husband hired a new cook yesterday and I am hopeful he will get some time at home in the near future. It never lasts long before he goes back to working doubles six days a week, but every time a new cook walks into that kitchen, I find myself hopeful all over again. We'll see.

And now it's time for school to begin so I should get moving. I want to have time to move a little slower through this last school day. Jake and I have a lot to accomplish but Fridays shouldn't feel like Mondays. That would just be wrong.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home