Time And Tide

Yesterday is not ours to recover, but tomorrow is ours to win or to lose. Lyndon B.Johnson

Monday, October 20, 2003

It's been a very busy weekend that carried over through today. Today is my husband's birthday and he took a day off. The first day off (minus a one week vacation) in two years and boy it threw off my schedule. Top it off with Leirin still being home with the chicken pox and well, I haven't accomplished much today. Yesterday though, yesterday I was a working hard mad-woman. I cleaned up and cut the front yard, the drive and the back yard. I sprayed devil vine and periwinkle that threatens to roll over our house one of these days and eat us all alive. I sprayed poison ivy. I planted a couple of flowers that I didn't want to have to bring inside. I can't keep them outside where the gods send rain. I surely can't do it indoors. Yes, I'm that bad. My husband buys me new plants and never fails to say something like "I figured for 2.97 I could let you kill this one too." Mean old bugger, he is. Besides, what I don't kill becomes dog food quickly so what's the use?

I was mad at the husband yesterday because in the midst of my hard working stint, I came inside to find him (still) piled up on the couch in the bedroom watching football. He was in dire need of rest after the morning spent playing Morrowind, of course. So I'm on my way through to the bathroom, I'm dripping sweat (was the hottest 75 degrees I've ever seen), covered in grass pieces, muddy on my face from wiping my nose without remembering to wipe my hand, and seeing him sprawled on the couch, leaning back on a big cushy pillow just burnt my butt (for some strange reason). I asked if he planned to do anything to make himself useful today and he said "YEAH" (whiney, insulted, kid-like tone). About 20 minutes later he shows up outside, goes to the store for a gallon of gas for the weed eater I was trying to reconnect the gas lines on (it leaked...back to the drawing board) and cuts a spot at the end of the drive with the (self-propelled) lawnmower that is about, oh, 8x10 MAYBE. I turn around from trimming up the camelias and poof, he's no longer with us. Take a quick guess where he was found...

HELLO! I need a man! Seems if he's not going to be one around here he could let me have one but NOOOOOO. Ok, so maybe I'm still just a tad bitter about it today. I'll get over it. At some point.

We've had a good day together in spite of it. Leirin is feeling a little bit better except there is no way she will be ready to go back to school by Wednesday. She's only just begun to bust and crust. It's just not going to happen that fast so tomorrow I have to call the doctor and get her excuse extended. Joy. Emily woke up with a headache this morning and had me worried about the pox. Luckily, it went away. Whew. Turns out there are several kids at Leirin's school with them and the school people are just as shocked as I was when Leirin got them. Seems to me that if you can get the chicken pox after having the shot they shouldn't say it will keep you from getting the chicken pox when they give you the shot. Who trains these people or do they really have their information wrong.

Was reading an interesting article today at refdesk. It seems that the male species is on the fast track for extinction and guess what's doing it? Their own Y chromosome. Let me see if I can find the link...found it, here it is... Wouldn't you know it though, in wiping themselves out, they will be taking all of the human race with them. It would appear that women only have a couple hundred thousand years to learn to reproduce on their own. Why not? We already have to mow the lawn and take out the trash. At least, I do. (yep, still bitter).

In other news, I'm a little bit worried about our black lab Gimli. He's almost 6 months old and goes in to be neutered this week. Thank goodness or I'd have to make him an appointment. He's been sleeping in his crate for the last hour and a half and every so often he will wake himself up panting like he's been running a race. His gums are pink and he seems normal except that he stinks to high heaven for some unknown reason - which I suspect has something to do with wading in the pond out back, but it worries me a bit still. So in the morning I have to call the doc for Leirin's excuse and the vet for my sweet puppy dog.

And here it is nearly 10:00 and I have yet to mop the kitchen. I really needed to do that too. We have a lemonade spill spot that no matter how many times I've tried wiping it up and washing over it, it remains sticky enough to stop you in your tracks as you try to walk across the floor. What is that stuff made of? Gonna have to read the Country Time label and see if it says something like Emlersgluetoparabin in the ingredients list.

Ah well, tomorrow's another day and I get to do it all again. I think I may give hubby a break though. It is his birthday after all :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home