Time And Tide

Yesterday is not ours to recover, but tomorrow is ours to win or to lose. Lyndon B.Johnson

Thursday, October 09, 2003

Omens?

Walk up in my yard and you'll be treated to the best Halloween decorations around. Leaves litter the ground and spider webs hang eerily from just about every place a web can be attached to. Is a pretty cool look for this time of year. But I didn't do it. -they are all real.

From somewhere under the gutters to the side of the house are huge spider webs, each one housing a spider of the large variety with huge furry back ends and legs as long as mine (never mind that I am short legged). Is a good look for the month and took no effort on my part and since normally we don't mess with spiders because they eat the bugs that tend to want to eat us, we're ok with them, but I'm not sure what's attracted so many this year. There are many writing spiders. Their huge, artistic webs full of scribbles only they understand - much like my notebook.

Each morning the kids open the door slowly - that lesson learned when my husband went to run out the door one morning and met a large and viscious looking spider hanging center of the door. We have to keep those cleared out with the broom. And this morning I had to kill a black widow that had decided to lend it's decorating talents to the mix and had positioned it's web in the corner of our front doorway. Black Widows and brown recluse we can do without and have more than our share of already so one by one, as we find them, we take them out. It was quick and painless with only a minimal amount of squealing involved. The girls will swear it was me but it was the spider screaming in the throes of death.

Maybe they are here to show exactly how far behind I am with yard work. Maybe they have come because I'm running short on time for decorating for the season. Maybe they've come to offer inspiration as I attempt (somewhat lamely) to spin my own web of words since I signed up for nano and have been thinking I'm completely insane to even attempt it. Who knows? I'm quite sure what I end up with from my writing attempts will be a closer representation of the spooky associations of this time of year than the intricate beauty of the spiders' webs, I'm taking the theory and running with it. Since I'm a person with leanings toward the fantastic and magical (and I'm severely short on time thesedays), I'll take the omen option. It would be bad luck to sweep down the webs and displace all those spiders.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home