Time And Tide

Yesterday is not ours to recover, but tomorrow is ours to win or to lose. Lyndon B.Johnson

Sunday, September 21, 2003

No matter what I do, I just can't sleep past 7am. Yuck! It's Sunday, I could, but I can't. Why, why, why? Instead of sleeping like the dead and drooling on my pillow, I'm chasing my insane little ferocious dog trying to get her to stop the yapping. She's not really mean - she just thinks she's big and she feels the need to warn the world that she's awake and everybody better cut the crap because she's here to run the show. What is it with little dogs? Gimli, our newest addition and resident big boy (mostly because out of a boston, a jack russel, shih tzu and min pin, nobody really qualifies as "big" and they're all girls anyway) has been sitting by my chair because now he's big enough to put his chin in my lap while I sit at the desk. He likes this because I can scratch his ears. It frustrates him because typing takes two hands so he ends up spinning me all around trying to get me to stop typing and scratch his ears. He gave up a few minutes ago and my guess would be he's laying on the couch since I'm in here and he's not allowed on the couch.

Today I am definitely taking the carpet out of the living room. I can only hope that the number of times drinks and bowls of cereal have been spilled, they've been cleaned up quick enough to keep me from finding an unexpected bunch of funky circles on the floor once the carpet is gone. I still don't really have a plan other than take carpet out...hide or fix what's ugly. I'll have to see the uglies before I figure out how to hide them. I hope it's not too bad and that my area rug will take care of most of what might be beyond fixing. We'll see.

My little cat Winkin' is trying to climb into a paper shredder box that's oh, maybe 4 inches wide. Winkin has a thing for boxes. I don't know if she just thinks they are comfortable or if she thinks she looks good in them. Whatever it is, if there's a box or even an empty plastic bag, she's going to be in it as soon as she figures out how to make herself fit. Silly cat.

The cats and dogs have a big place in our house. We have a tendency to narrate for them...what they are thinking, attitudes of the moment, facial expressions (and they do have them). Each one is different. Each one special for a different reason. Sometimes we make up songs for them too. They are a constant source of entertainment. And happiness. They make us very happy.

Most people don't understand why we have so many animals sharing our home. Shoot, sometimes it's difficult for me to understand why we have so many, but then there will be one with nobody to care for it. One that someone has opted to just let go and save that 50 or hundred bucks it would take to fix them up. There is something in the eyes of these animals...like the wonder that children have. A promise of love and affection. Real devotion. Dogs are what people should aspire to be - minus the chewing of furniture. Yeah, I have a couple of chairs with missing corners. But I have 5 little dogs that will stop whatever they are doing...drop their bones and balls, leave their comfy spot in the sun...just to love me for a few minutes.
And when the day has been long and frustrating, and nothing's turning out quite right, there is nothing like the feeling of a soft floppy ear in the palm of my hand and a warm, wet muzzle resting against my wrist.

I remember a commercial that used to come on (I am a commercial fanatic). There's this little puppy making promises - I promise to never chew on your shoes (and it shows the pup dragging a shoe twice his size to a corner to nibble on) I will do this and that and be this and that. Ultimately you end up with the promise of a real friend. At the end of the long list of things he promises the voice says... "As long as you keep scratching that place that makes my leg do that thing." How sweet!

I really love commercials. Right now I like the football commercials that rework the old songs. Even the ones with the twins in them. It's not that I like the commercials exactly but the idea for them is the most original thing I've seen done in a while. I also loved the old Ivory soap commercials. There was one that showed this huge, grizzly of a man, wrapped in a towel and holding a little bitty baby that one of the giant man's hands would have covered. Awwww, so tender. I can't explain my thing for commercials. I just love them. Oh and then there was the one with the little boy setting up the rolls of toilet paper to make bumper guards for the puppy as it came ripping through the house skidding into walls and corners on it's way to be fed. That one just cracks me up because it's every puppy I've ever had. I'm weird, I know. I like tv shows too, but commercials really get my attention when they're original. I'm the ultimate consumer :)

Right now I need to turn into handymom and start ripping out carpet so I should go.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home