Time And Tide

Yesterday is not ours to recover, but tomorrow is ours to win or to lose. Lyndon B.Johnson

Tuesday, September 16, 2003

Not a lot accomplished today except for getting a new car. Now I'm sitting here with a brain that's wanting to travel in a thousand different directions. I'm sure that somewhere in there lurks some decent blog babble, but I don't know if it's going to surface or not. I'm tired, I have indigestion (patty melt and onion rings for dinner), and a headache is coming on - too much greasy food but occasionally I just have to do it anyway. I'm not sure why, but I adore a good old greasy burger and crinkle fries like you'd get from those roadside mom and pop type places. Knowing this, my husband occasionally indulges my craving and throws bacon on top just because he loves me. Ok, so I suffer. I don't think I've had one time yet when it wasn't worth it. Maybe there was one time when I was pregnant and had bouts of indigestion that could have taken down an elephant the size of a Mac truck, but I can only vaguely remember, so even then it must have been worth it.

I was reading Lani's mention of trying the Atkins diet and I keep wondering if I could do that. I'd love to knock off 20 pounds real quick like. I wonder though if I could live without starches. I'm love starches so much it's a wonder I can't sleep standing up. Potatoes, rice, pasta, oooooh the pasta. Doug says he's only ever seen a football player able to down as much pasta as I can in one sitting. No meat? No problem. I'll just have the noodles please. Preferably doused in a creamy alfredo sauce with freshly shredded parmesan. Could I do it? Nah, probably not. I don't love smoking near as much as I love fettuccini alfredo and I haven't quit smoking yet. I have, however, gained 5 pounds (out of 12 lost). The diet is definitely worth considering but only if I can eat sinfully well in the fat department.

I'm particularly interested in Lani's "never felt better" comments. I'd like to say that. Instead I wake up every day feeling like a snail that accidently took the salt trail. I drink a pot of coffee then switch to type 2 caffine and do my best to work through that bottle of soda by dinnertime. Breakfast - coffee. Lunch - Coke. Snacks - More coke and a Little Debbie cake if I've bought any at the grocery store (usually I don't because I can NOT resist them. It's so bad I have to fight the urge to hide the boxes from the rest of the family. Not good. In fact, writing it down makes me sound a little obsessed with Little Debbie. That don't sound too good either. Better move along...

Koni said she didn't find Jamie Fraser all that appealing. GASP! But when I heard her reasons (long matted hair and nasty clothes) I had to agree that I've wondered if I could have tolerated that were I born a few hundred years back. No bath every day. ICK. No hairbrush? Even worse. No toothbrush? NO WAY! But it was never his looks as described, or even his body (though heavenly it did sound) that made me think he was the perfect man. It was the way he talked. How he shared his secrets. how he loved that completely that caught my fancy. In real life, I doubt I could live their story...seperated for 20 years, seperated over and over and over again and in the time they did have together, constant struggles and upheavals. Nah, in real life that would probably just aggravate the hell out of me. But to be loved like that...well, I think I just might could endure anything.

Does my husband not love me like that? I couldn't really say no. He loves me well. And after having spent a week apart from him recently, I can say I have no doubt his heart is mine. But he has never said anything remotely like "If my last words to you aren't I love you, you'll kin it was because I didn't have time." Would I find myself melting if he were to learn a couple of endearments in Gaelic to toss at me on occasion? Damn skippy I would - just call me Gomez - but I don't think that's it either. I think...hmmm, what do I think? I think most of all that a man like that does not exist except in the mind of a woman writer...or maybe all women. As to what makes him a man like that well, I'm not sure. Will have to think on that more. I'm just positive that if there were a Jamie Fraser 200 years back and it was possible to get there...I'd be in the first cracked stone and on my way too quick to talk about it. Oooooh, I have a thought! I'm thinking that maybe JF's attraction is in knowing his thoughts. Maybe my husband has thought many things steeped in tenderness over the years. I don't know...his brain didn't come complete with narrator and I'm afraid he experiences brain to mouth interface errors. I never know what he's thinking. He loves me, yes. I love him, yes. We've both suffered with it and for it in many ways, but we have endured. I still want more and so does he. Oh I could want to change many things about him if I sat down to make notes, I'm sure. I'm sure too that were I do get that man of my own design, I'd probably be missing the one that's got our son up way past bedtime playing Morrowind on a school night within a short time.

And there it is. Blabber blogging...nothing like brain dead tired to get the funky stuff flowing looks like.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home