Time And Tide

Yesterday is not ours to recover, but tomorrow is ours to win or to lose. Lyndon B.Johnson

Wednesday, September 10, 2003

Midnight Snacking


The more sleepy I get the more my tummy was rumbling so I poured myself a bowl of Apple Jacks. One of my faves from childhood. Except now I can't pour a bowl of them without hearing some smarty pants kid say "Eat what you like." and that gripes me. Why didn't they just keep the song? It was way better than the crap commercials they make now. And hell, if they had to make a big deal out of why it don't taste like apples why in God's name are they putting big blue carrot chunks in them? Like that makes any sense at all. I'm a little bit irritated because one of my kids - who will remain nameless to protect his identy drank all but, oh I'd say 2 tablespoons of the milk and put the container back in the fridge. Since I've spent the evening in the yard working hard, my arms ached picking up that empty container just like they would have had it been full. Of course I didn't notice it until I poured it over the heaping mound of cereal and now it's damp and has to be ate, eaten, eated...whatever.

I'm about dead on my feet at this point after doing major battle with the front yard all evening. I told my husband I need a man. I wonder if he'll ever let me have one since he is always working and I have all the housework and yardwork to do. He kinda giggles (not that men really giggle) and gives me this 'yeah right' look. Sigh. I really could use a man...

On the bright side of it all - I think I may have saved my roses from the rogue blackberries. Last year my husband planted daylillies by my roses and the buggers have spread and spread and spread until they grew right under and through the roses so when the berry vines started popping up, I didn't notice them. Then the rain started and they grew like Bill Bixby on gamma radiation. Overnight. My roses were nothing more than a canopy of blackberry vines. Jake's container garden had gotten way out of control and the weeds had crept up on the boxes so that we were scarcely able to tell if he had a watermelon or cantaloupe hidden in the middle of all that mess.

So tonight I took out my new hedge trimmer and went to work. For a little while I worked trimming out the blackberry vines by hand, but my hands stung from all the briars and I hadn't even made a dent in the rogue growth so I just buzzed all that crap right off there. While I was working, and since I had a few more minutes before complete dark, I decided I'd trim the ancient azaleas too. I had finally managed to wrestle the garden containers out of the way so I could mow the weeds and I figured the azaleas would look a lot nicer too if they were neatened up a bit. As I was trimming the tips of the wildest growth I saw something fall and felt it hit the ground at my feet. It was a big old watermelon...growing in the azaela bush! All in all I gathered two watermelons and two canteloupes and ran over about - I won't even guess at the number of itty bitties I hacked with the mower. The yard is practically presentable now though and that just tickled me to death. If only I could get both of the front hedges trimmed to the same size.

I'm dog tired and this is really lame. Think I'll head to bed and try again in the morning.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home