Time And Tide

Yesterday is not ours to recover, but tomorrow is ours to win or to lose. Lyndon B.Johnson

Monday, August 18, 2003

I blogged Friday, really I did but I clicked on an email link and it changed my page. Of course blogger asked me if I wanted to save my post. Whew, I thought, at least I won't lose everything I just typed. I have no idea where it was saved though (and it's looking like it wasn't actually saved) so there went that.

The rest of the weekend was just too full to allow time for sitting at the computer. Saturday morning we took off to get haircuts. Leirin needed a haircut and there's only one person I'd trust to do it. Joann cut my hair for 16 years before I moved here. She knew my hair, how it grew, it's evil tendencies, and she kept me looking good in spite of them. She also has an appreciation for long hair and understands what "just an inch" means. - no needless hacking by her hands. It was great to see her again. She even took the time to have a look at my god awful haircut I got about a month ago and fixed it up for me. I no longer have child bangs that wrap around half my head. I do, however, have curls...tons and tons of curls that I thought I'd outgrew about the time I left elementary school.

They're baaaack.

Yesterday dh spent several hours on the roof cleaning out gutters and trying to repair one that had broke away from the house during a particularly rough storm last week. The repair job was a bust...no ladder tall enough to let him fix it and we didn't have the right stuff for it anyway. While he worked on the roof, I worked outside in the yard so if he fell I would at least hear him scream. It makes me nervous for him to be two stories off the ground and walking on a steep, wet roof. It all went well though except for the heat. We both came in feeling quite ill and accomplished little for the rest of the day.
The gutters are clean and our rosemary bush is free of stray blackberry vines. Thank goodness...I'm about to get tired of doing battle with those things. Every time I go out to weed I wonder why the unwanted things grow so vigorously and I have to battle to keep anything I want to have in the yard alive. It's just not fair.

While I rested I finished reading Jewels Of The Sun by Nora Roberts. I enjoyed it very much. I started on Lisa Gardner's The Perfect Husband immediately after. It's beginning to get intense and though I've read better, I like it too. I think the characters have acted, well, a bit out of character in a couple of places. Beyond that, it's an excellent story. But hey, I can be entertained by cereal box backs and toilet paper wrappers so I enjoy most books I read at least to some degree.

Today begins another week of school. It was difficult to drag the sleepy girls from their beds this morning and Emily forgot her bottle of juice when she walked out the door to catch the bus. Nothing ever goes off without a hitch here. I should be used to it. Jake's school is going well. He is so excited about what he is learning. I think it's because his reading is going so well. I've worried myself near to death over whether I would have it in me to teach him to read. It's been the thing that's bothered me most. If I fail at that there is no way I can successfully teach him any of the other things. But he's coming along quite nicely with his reading and it makes me proud of both of us.

And speaking of school, it's time to get busy. It's a lame blogging day anyway. Maybe I will have more interesting things to say after more coffee.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home