Time And Tide

Yesterday is not ours to recover, but tomorrow is ours to win or to lose. Lyndon B.Johnson

Monday, July 21, 2003

I've been in vacuum cleaner hell for almost a year now. It all started when my expensive Kennmore vacuum, just out of warranty, bit the dust. I wasn't about to spend another couple hundred dollars on a vacuum or an extended warranty that lasts only until the week before the vac gives up the ghost. I'd been using a vacuum that had belonged to the restaurant. People being generally lazy and not wanting to pick up things like napkins, chunks of food and oh, say, silverware, meant the vacuum stayed in the shop way too often for my husband's liking. He bought them a shop vac so now they can suck away at whatever is laying on the floor and they don't want to stoop to pick up and it won't ruin the vacuum. Smart man - my good fortune.

Until I ran out of vacuum bags, that is. Try as we might, we haven't been able to find vacuum bags for the thing since I got it. I've already been reduced to scooping the dust and icky ewey out of the bag one time and still, no bags. Just my luck it's a commercial vacuum and we aren't likely to find them anywhere around here...even the vacuum place he always got them from when it was being used at the restaurant doesn't have them anymore. Now I don't know if it's just a weird thing about me but I hate to think of ordering vac bags and paying shipping on them. I could do that, and had resigned myself to doing so but there was one little thing that kept me from doing it. Attachments.

Just as sucking up silverware is a given at work, so is losing the attachments. So that means I have none to go with the vacuum, which in turn means, I can't do half the things I use my vacuums for. Translation - I don't like it very much. It does the carpet and that's it. I need a vacuum that does triple duty (cobwebs, ceilings, corners, furniture, curtains, blinds) guess that's more like double-triple duty. So today I went to Lowes and bought myself a shop vac.

That reminds me...

One of my husband's favorite stories from work is about a girl who he says invented the need for dumb blonde jokes. On the day he brought his new shop vac in to work, all the employees were all standing around watching him open it as if it was a present or something. This girl burst out laughing, ran and grabbed another waitress by the arm and dragged her over to the box, pointing and said "LOOK! They spelled it wrong! It's supposed to be SHOCK vac!"
That's his favorite but mine is the day she walked into the kitchen with a soda in her hand and said "I just don't get it; I can drink a few beers and I'm drunk, but I've been drinking sodas all day long and it doesn't do anything to me. "

Well, duh.

I think I just did Linda's mind wandering thing. What's that she says? Oh yeah, thanks for playing.

So anyway I have a new shop vac and I've been through my livingroom top to bottom already. I swear that thing would suck the paint right off the walls if I held it up there for a minute. I think I might end up pretty happy with it. I have attachments, a bag big enough (surely) to last me a year and I know I can get more at Lowes, and get this...it even runs quieter than my old vacuum! I'm a happy camper and it only cost me 50 bucks. Can't do that with a regular vacuum cleaner :)

In other news, the kids are in the kitchen bathing a new puppy. Yeah...call me sucker. Leirin called me from work about 3:15 and said a man was there trying to give this puppy away that didn't have a home. Apparently he found a litter and their mother was dead. He isn't old enough to be weaned, so he will be staying with us until he's ready and when our vet has space in his adoption program we will have him placed through there. I hope the other puppies the man has already given away do well. This one sure is a cutie. I just hope my common sense is able to hold out for a couple of weeks. My husband hasn't even seen him and he's already dubbed him Junior Jr. and his voice turned all sappy on me when I was talking to him on the phone.

Sad story there. I don't know if I've ever wrote about that before. When I met my husband he had a little black lab/dalmation mix named Junior. He loved that dog (lots of great stories I could tell about him) more than anything in the world. Junior disappeared on the dayI went to the hospital to have Emily. Twice before he had been stolen, but we had been lucky enough to get him back when he escaped and someone else found him. This time though, we weren't able to find him again. That was 8 years ago next week. For an entire year, my husband would wake up in the middle of the night and ride the neighborhood calling for that dog. Just last month he called me to tell me he saw a dog that looked like Junior sitting in the back of a truck outside the restaurant. Just like Junior, this dog had a white tuxedo chest with dalmation spots, his toes were white with dalmation spots and the very tip of his long black tail was white. The dog was graying just as Junior would be by now at the age of 12. The dog looked so happy, he couldn't bring himself to ask the man if he had found him or how long he'd had him.

Back in the present - I'm sitting here with a freshly bathed, slightly scrawny, sleeping baby dog in my lap. I'm wondering if I even have the heart to tell my husband we can't keep this dog if he ends up thinking we should. I don't think I could.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home