Time And Tide

Yesterday is not ours to recover, but tomorrow is ours to win or to lose. Lyndon B.Johnson

Friday, June 27, 2003

Tonight's the night - NOT

I took the kids to my mom's for swimming today. For two hours I sat by the pool talking to my mom and grandma, enjoying the shade and the cooler weather. I needed the rest. Yesterday I had an idea to fix the wardrobe that sits in our livingroom and serves as a coat closet. With Shelley's help, a quick, and cheap, fix was planned and I was off and running.

Of course, having the wardrobe fixed and shelves added to the interior made it necessary to clean out a closet for the coats, which now had no home, because the wardrobe would function much more nicely as a storage pantry in the kitchen. The lack of wardrobe beside the television left a need for storage there, which our bedside tables filled nicely and without looking quite so massive coming in the front door as the wardrobe had. A small buffet that had hogged space at the end of the hall, moved to our bedroom to house things displaced by the loss of the nightstands with shelves underneath. A book case that has floated around to various parts of our home now serves as my bedside table and holds all my writing books. The corner cabinet I had to move to make room for the wardrobe-turned-pantry sits in the corner just beside the bookcase. My husband made out with a small pine chest on his side of the bed.

The wardrobe door was a simple fix. The amount of work it created in the process left my legs aching all day today...hence the need for resting them. I've hauled large pieces of furniture up or down those steps into the kitchen before, but never one very large one down and another fair sized cabinet up in the same day. I was tuckered out.

I headed home after a couple of hours because I still had to make the decision about what would be stored where in the kitchen. I'm pretty dang good at finding storage space when space is limited. Give me an abundance of storage space and my mind goes all loopy. It can't compute excess. So most of what we own to eat or cook with was sitting on the kitchen table.

The kids were spending the night with my mom and my husband had to work a double. The night was mine. I had the kitchen organized, and cleaned within a couple of hours. I mopped upstairs and decided to settle in for an evening to myself. I had bought highlighting stuff for my hair on my way home (yes, when I get in these moods, I go all out with it.), so I mixed up an amaretto sour and headed off to do my hair. Candles were ready to be lit, music was picked out, my book was sitting by the bed. I had 3 more hours and I planned to take advantage of it.

Fastforward...

My husband came home from work early and Jake is sitting in the other room playing on the playstation. He felt sick, he said, when he called me from Nany's to say he wanted to come home (which could be the truth because Leirin has also complained with a stomach ache all evening) I did manage to brush the highlights into my hair a little while ago. I've lit the candles in spite of them being here. It's not going to be exactly the evening I had planned, but I'll grab a little bit of time for myself at least.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home