Time And Tide

Yesterday is not ours to recover, but tomorrow is ours to win or to lose. Lyndon B.Johnson

Sunday, June 22, 2003

We had a great time at the pool yesterday. In spite of swimming non-stop for 3 hours and being worn out, Emily and Jacob were still up at midnight...long past the time when my energy had been completely drained. How do they do that? I spent that 3 hours trying my best to grab that little bit of color I'm so desperate for. Wouldn't you know I've developed super human skin that's impervious to the sun. I'm still the same old shade of pale as when I left here yesterday. I keep telling myself this means I'll tan slowly without all the blistering and peeling in between, but it's a tad upsetting. After all these years, three hours in the sun should have fried me to a crisp. I look more like I've been cooked in a microwave...not brown on the outside and unappetizing. Woe is me.

We have another busy day ahead of us. This is the day we have to get the piano from my brother's house. My husband enlisted the help of our two burliest guys from work and we hope it will go quickly and smoothly. Of course that leaves me with plenty of rearranging work of my own to do here once we have a piano to squeeze in, but it will be worth the time spent. Leirin is getting mighty good at playing and she's excited about it. We all are really. I keep hoping that maybe having a piano will mean that I might be able to learn to play. I seriously doubt it. I'm not very musically inclined. My idea of making music is throwing something in the CD player and dancing around like an uncoordinated idiot.

We are going to my pop's today to help him with cleaning out his mom's old house. He closed on it last week and he's still hard at work trying to empty out all the things she had packed away. There was a lot of it too. My grandma was a pack rat. She's kept Reader's Digest magazines from the 60's, she never gave anything of my grandpa's away after he died, so my pop has essentially been trying to pack up two lives. It's taken a very long time to do it. Hopefully with the five of us there we can make some real headway today. It has to be emptied before it can be painted, and it REALLY needs painted. My grandma's idea of decorating was having everything in a shade of brown that didn't show dirt. The end result was a drab and dreary house with even brown curtains - the heavy lined kind that were never drawn because that would let in light which would show dust floating in the air. He's got a big job ahead of him but I think it's nothing a bit of paint and a few garbage trucks won't cure.

And so that brings me to this morning. I'm sitting here guzzling my coffee in hopes of waking up soon and working this kink out of my back I have from sleeping on the couch. I started out in my bed but moved to the livingroom around 2am because our bed was crowded. Emily couldn't sleep in her room last night because it smelled of the tung oil I had used to touch up her floor (LOVE the oil and wax finish btw...it looks like it did the day I finished it) so she ended up in our bed as Jake was sleeping on our couch. Rather than try to fight for my own spot in bed, I just went to the livingroom.

It's a miracle! It's 8:45 and my husband is awake. He's usually a sleep until noon kind of guy on Sundays. But we do have a lot to do today so I guess that's why he's up already. This looks promising. We may move that piano, help pop, and find time to cut grass today. Now if someone would just do my laundry while we are gone today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home