Time And Tide

Yesterday is not ours to recover, but tomorrow is ours to win or to lose. Lyndon B.Johnson

Tuesday, June 17, 2003

Forgive me blogger for I've failed. It's been 13 days since my last blogging sesson...

After being practically scolded by Linda this morning for not blogging, then (only slightly) embarrassed when she asked if I was still mourning my lost britches, and the awesome day I've had, I decided today I do have much to say after all. As per the norm in this house, not much has happened the last two weeks, but there have been some interesting things here and there. Leirin started volunteering at the horse farm 3 days a week and is loving it. There's something really cool about driving up in the afternoon when it's quitting time for her and finding her hard at work in the pasture, with dozens of horses milling around (because she has the food) and seeing her absent-mindedly reach up to stroke the neck of each one she passes. She appears to have been doing this her entire lifetime.

She's good at it. And I'm proud of her.

Jake is at it again with the never ending twists on common illnesses. It was nearly a month ago that a mysterious rash a day after a spider bite sent us racing to the doctor's office only to have him tested for strep instead of diagnosed with a bite reaction. Today it was the spider bite (same one from a month ago) swelling up and looking all funky, that sent us back again, only to be told he apparently has a touch of poison oak or ivy that has got into his blood stream and is causing each bite he gets to do something wonky. Jake...he can't do anything the normal way (or cheap for that matter). My budget for his dentist visit was blown before we left the doctor's office, Emily's cleaning went out the window with the 50.00 bottle of lotion we are supposed to put on the two teenie patches of rash he has on his arms and the 40.00 bottle of steroid stuff.

It's been an awesome day though in spite of the headache I've now had for 4 stinkin days. Damn sweet potatoes. My husband is convinced it's a food allergy and the potatoes are the culprit. Too bad too because there's nothing like a sweet potato with a little butter and brown sugar on it.

As I wrote that just now I'm reminded that I had intended to blog yesterday but I ran out of time. The topic was to be the phrase "there's nothing like a ....". I have noticed lately that I make statements like that a lot. So yesterday when I was laying on my bed letting my mind wander in hopes of ignoring the headache, I gave some thought to the things that are truly unique. I say it so often it would seem like there's a lot of things I seem to feel that nothing in the world matches. I ended up coming up with a list of ten things that I think there's nothing else like it in the world.

1. Holding your firstborn for the first time.
2. The sound of a Harley.
3. A bunny's nose.
4. The feel of a newborn puppy's ears.
5. The scent of a baby's breath.
6. A field of morning glorys covered in dew.
7. Seeing your kids do something that makes them proud of themselves.
8. A cat's tail.
9. A really good book
10. Doing something new and doing it well.

And so number ten leads me to today's events. A month or so ago my husband agreed to give me 500.00 to invest in the stock market to help me learn how it works. The majority of his family have always worked in government jobs, so they've always owned stocks, gave stocks as gifts, etc. My husband has stocks left over from childhood and he has continued to invest because he was raised to believe you should do that and plan for your future. It was nothing like that in my family. My mom fed 6 people for 40.00 a week because it had to be that way. Extra money meant we didn't run out of toilet paper or have to use paper towels for napkins or toilet paper for kleenex. Oops, I'm wandering...back to the stock market...

It was evident early on that I'm more of a get rich quick personality while my husband is a buy and hold for long-term profit kind of guy. I see the distance between 1.95 and 2.00 as being a heck of a lot closer than 29.95 to 30. I like to do things now. He don't. Besides, I have to double my money a few times over, and do it quickly, if I'm to get new boobs before I'm too old and fonked up for them to do me good.

I subscribed to every reputable investment newsletter I could find. I read up on day trading. I've read business headlines each morning, taken notes and watched stock market television. Eight days ago I found a small stock I was interested in buying. I called our broker, had him take a look at it and I made my first stock purchase. The very next day I broke even (read: made enough to cover his commission) and I was proud of myself. As of this evening, my stock is up 1.30 per share and this afternoon the company declared a 1.75 per share dividend which means I'll get 131.00 and some change just because I was smart enough to buy their stock. I feel pretty smart, and very relieved that this venture into the stock market didn't go as poorly as my first dry run in economics class in high school where I was given twice the amount of money and was flat broke within two days.

The best part of my day came when my husband sold one of his stocks and bought mine.

Today, life is sweet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home