Time And Tide

Yesterday is not ours to recover, but tomorrow is ours to win or to lose. Lyndon B.Johnson

Saturday, July 19, 2003

Winkin and Blinkin

They were in the cage in the top left corner...two adorable little kittens, each just a hand full. Each had one huge bulging eye, swollen and blinded by the infection their owner hadn't wanted to treat. They had been brought in to be put down, the whole litter was there, but these two kittens had been the only ones to actually lose an eye to the infection. The female, a beautiful long-haired calico with the pinkest nose I've ever seen, rubbed constantly against the cage, begging for affection. The male, a gray and black stripped baby, would stand on his hind legs just like a little squirrel, and stretch his neck as close to the cage door as possible trying to get a better look. The rest of the litter had been adopted, but nobody wanted either of these two that would be left with only one eye each and were partially blind in the other. Bonnie agreed to take one of my healthy cats into the adoption program in exchange for me giving the kittens a permanent home.

We named them Winkin and Blinkin. They took their place on our bed the first night and took over our hearts shortly after. Especially Blinkin. He dubbed himself *my* kitty. If I sat down, he was in my lap. If I went to bed, he was on my tummy, giving me kitty kisses on my nose. I slept every night to the sound of his purring into my shoulder where he would tuck his little face into my hair. At the computer, he was right with me. I could call his name and he would come running, as good as a well trained dog. I've said many times he was meant to be mine. Every day he practically told me so with how much he loved me back. I love that sweet cat.

We've had a lot of animals over the years since we started collecting strays and other unwanteds. It's a great thing to know that we make a difference. We get so much from each animal we bring home. Some don't survive whatever is going on with them when we first find them, some are placed in new homes where they are wanted and will be cared for, and others remain with us for their lifetime. We love them all and occasionally there will be one that teaches us just how deeply one can love a little furry critter - one capable of becoming as much a part of us as family. They are the most rewarding part of what we do, and often, the most difficult.

I just had to bury Blinkin. He was lost to FIP and there was nothing that could be done. For 8 weeks now our vet has worked hard to find the source of his problems and today exploratory surgery revealed a cause there was no fix for. He called me to apologize for not having better news and to ask permission to put him down while he was still sedated, which I gave him.



Sometimes I think I don't have the heart for this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home