Time And Tide

Yesterday is not ours to recover, but tomorrow is ours to win or to lose. Lyndon B.Johnson

Thursday, July 17, 2003

Gracious, it's been a long time since my last blog. It's been so busy here that time has just got away from me. Not much new going on in our neck of the woods. Our old Brandy dog was diagnosed with kidney disease and I do the battle of the food with her twice daily now. She has gone on a hunger strike because she can't have table food any longer. Damn dog. Here we are running out to buy her fresh liver and feeding her $2 a can dog food and she's turning up her pug nose at it. Makes me want to tie her ears in a knot.

I've been busy getting the house together and Jake started school on Monday. It's a light load for the next 3 weeks, but still, it's school during the day and it's an adjustment. The good news is he hit a point with his reading where something seemed to click last night and he just read everything...two lessons, almost 40 pages...he blew right through them. Here's to hoping he's turned that corner and won't resist it so much. I'm a lot less stressed. I really worried about if I had what it takes to teach him to read. And if he had the patience for it. Perfectionist.

We spent this past weekend in Hilton Head Island. It was awesome. I've never seen a place so tourist-y that remained so natural. There were so many trees, even in the resort areas that you could only see one building no matter where you stood. Even the shopping areas are complete with trees and there are ponds everywhere. We didn't see a lot of alligators like I had hoped to, but my husband did catch a glimpse of 4 gators sunning themselves on the banks of a pond on a roadside golf course one evening as we drove by. Talk about a water hazzard.

The Island was fun. Emily and Jake took to the ocean like, well, fish to water. Those two near the ocean are a heart attack waiting to happen to me. Thrill seekers they are. We survived though, and so did they. We dug clams on the beach and picked up shells. We even brought hom a couple of hermit crabs (purchased, not found) as a souvenier of our trip. They've been fun to watch and they live in painted shells that are just adorable. One is a kitty cat face complete with ears, whiskers and sunglasses and the other, small one, is painted like a soccer ball. We have an assortment of other shells ready for them to move into when they are ready and we are making plans for decorating their aquarium place.

Of course since we got back, the laundry is piled up and much cleaning awaits. I've felt like I've been running a race since the minute we walked in the door Sunday night. A lot is happening but it's happening at such a pace I can hardly get it straight in my mind enough to write about it. I hate such a frantic pace but it seems I can't get away from it no matter what I try. Speaking of housework, it's all waiting for me today so I should get at it. I'll try to take some time to catch up over the next few days.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home