Time And Tide

Yesterday is not ours to recover, but tomorrow is ours to win or to lose. Lyndon B.Johnson

Tuesday, July 22, 2003

The puppy woke me up crying at a little before 5. I went downstairs and opened the crate where he and Calliope were sleeping to let them outside. Calliope faked me out and ran back inside the door and hid under the table. While I was digging her stubborn little butt from underneath a chair, the puppy peed in the floor. It was his first accident inside and it was entirely my fault. Once I got Calliope rounded up and put out back, I took the puppy out front where he immediately finished his business. I think this puppy will be easily trained.

Mental note - do that different next time.

Now the morning constitutions have been attended, coffee is made and he's sitting here in my lap making grunting noises at me and looking at me with those angelic eyes. He's eating and drinking really well, thank goodness. He's a bit dehydrated and I'm not sure how long he's been without his mother. Not long enough to put him in real danger, but long enough. It's going to be hard to resist this puppy. He's like kryptonite - weakening my defenses with those little puppy whimpers. Sigh... I'm going to try to put a picture in here, but being that I'm software stupid, it may not work and you'll have to go to http://www.wordjourney.netfirms.com/Pets.htm (The puppy pictures are at the bottom of the page)Feel free to mention any obvious faults that I'm overlooking.

It's 6:15 now and I've managed very little if you don't count cuddling and a couple of trips to the coffee pot for refills. The other dogs, being old enough to be lazy, have gone back to sleep...like everyone else in the house is. Emily left me a note on the keyboard that says "Do not forget to wake Emily up. Remember!, Love, your daughter Emily." I'm supposed to wake her up at 6:30 so she can assume her puppy-mom duties. She's all set to show me adding another dog to the household will not affect me. Yeah, right. I'm the one that's been awake since before 5. I'll have to tell her that.



In other news, I got a new feather duster yesterday. Perhaps this one will be better behaved and Corri won't be forced to defend herself against an attack from it. And I might get to dust.

I have a mountain of laundry to finish this morning, and just about as much to iron as I have waiting to be washed. I don't enjoy ironing - I'm not good at it, it's hot and it takes a lot of time. It's especially upsetting to take the time to iron clothes then see what my husband and kids do to them once they are put into their closets. I'm not sure what else I can do though besides iron the clothes and let them have at it.

Jake fell off his top bunk last night while playing. My husband was doing the monster thing, chasing them all through the house. Jake and Emily had taken squealing refuge on the top bunk and Doug was acting like he was going to get them. Jake tried to climb off the side of the bunk, swung too hard and THWAP! His face hit the floor before anything else. It seldom turns out any different when they play but far be it from me to remind them of the fact that their play = death and destruction waiting to happen. Jake's fine, hardly bruised even. Good thing he's such a tough old buzzard. His rock hard noggin has saved him many times.

Oh, cool thing I meant to write about the other day and forgot to...On Friday, before Blinkin' died, I stopped by the vet's office to see what he had decided to do and pick up yet another type of food for Brandy dog to try. He wanted to talk to me but he was in surgery, so he sent the receptionist up to see if I would be able to talk to him while he worked (ie: will you throw up?) The girl up front got two kittens out of their house to let the kids play with them and I headed off to surgery. Now I am the one that has passed out cold a couple of times when my kids had much smaller boo-boos. But that is with my kids...other things don't usually bother me. I held on to that thought as I walked down the hall to where he was working. It was amazing. There on the table was a beautiful dog, tongue lolling out of her mouth, stomach open. I was paralyzed by the sight of it. I'm pretty sure the vet sized me up instantly to make sure I hadn't overestimated my abilities and when he saw that I was ok, he gave me a quick education on dog insides. I watched him remove her ovaries and uterus, then stitch things up with great skill. It's one of those things I'd have thought I wouldn't have a chance to see - wasn't sure I'd want to, or could tolerate it. Though I probably will never have a chance to witness such a thing again, or even have need of the bit of knowledge he imparted to me, I'm glad I got to see it. It's just something that will stick in my memory and I'll remember it over the years and think yeah, that was cool.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home