Time And Tide

Yesterday is not ours to recover, but tomorrow is ours to win or to lose. Lyndon B.Johnson

Wednesday, July 30, 2003

I got screwed

Yesterday we decided to make over Jacob's bedroom. It's tiny, perfectly square, and done in knotty-pine plank paneling that I can't bring myself to paint over. The wall his bunk beds have to be put on has open shelving that runs the full length of the wall. His bed had been pushed up to these shelves - leaving the bottom bunk about a foot away from the wall and creating a bottomless pit for dropped things to collect. We decided to take the shelves down to help better the room arrangment and function.

That's when it happened.

I was standing on the rail of the bottom bunk, braced against the wall while removing the shelf brackets, when my foot slipped. I lost my balance and fell against the wall, and managed to catch my side on the large head of a screw that was sticking out of the wall. I've never noticed it before. I have no idea why it would have been there. I've never noticed it before, but I'm painfully aware of it now. After a little rest and some bag balm I'm thinking it's going to be just fine, but the rib it poked me between is a little sore and I'm probably going to have at least a small scar. Decorating mementos...I manage to collect them in one way or another.

I caught my breath in a little bit and it stopped stinging enough to let me go back to work. We cut one of the shelves down to make a new set of shelves that are now at the foot of his bed. Underneath the shelves, we put a book case. The center of his room, small as it is, is completely open. A little green paint (Jake's favorite color) on the new shelves, maybe some stamping or stenciling on his bed, and a coat of paint for the computer desk and he will have the colorful room he's always wanted. Soon we will be building a trundle to hold the mattresses for his top bunk and the top bunk will become a playhouse. The king's castle. That's a bit in the future though. I still have to plan it out now that everything sits in a different place. He's finally happy with his room though, and last night he slept there instead of on the couch in our bedroom. Yay me!

I woke up this morning at 6:30 as if I needed to be awake. Naturally, I didn't...it's just the way my body works. Come the beginning of school when I have to be awake at that time, my body will be screaming for just a few more minutes. It's messed up. I cleaned the kitchen while I waited on the coffee to brew. The dishwasher is unloaded, the sinks are clean and all that's left to do is the floors - which I thought best to wait to do after the kids have breakfast. I've straightened the living room already and with a quick vacuuming it will be ready for the carpet cleaning it is in such desperate need of. Bathroom - scrubbed last night. Furniture - dusted, thanks to my new feather duster that I've managed so far to keep Corri away from. I seldom start the day ahead of the game so I'm loving this so far today. Of course, the kids haven't got up yet. All that has been accomplished is liable to disintegrate the instant their feet hit the floor.

My mom is going to the doctor this morning for a needle biopsy. After weeks of assing around the doctor's are going to finally get down to business and find out what the two tumors they've discovered in her breast mean for her. I'm nervous. I'm sure she's nervous. My grandma, I bet, is a basket case. I'm not going to get to go with her because I have the kids and they don't have the patience for sitting in waiting rooms and just waiting. So we're just hanging out here waiting to hear something from my mom when it's over. I'm not sure how long it will be before they get the results back but I'm sure it won't seem fast enough.

Yesterday I had to stop by the vet's office to pick up some medicine for Corri. Her dry skin is giving her itchy fits again and if I don't do something quick she's going to scratch her skin and fur completely off. We pulled up beside a couple in a Jeep. The man slid out of the driver's seat and walked around to the back to open the little window above the gate. Inside was the most mondo-sized dog I have EVER seen. It was a gorgeous Mastiff with a head the size of a beach ball. In unison my kids all said "WOW! What is THAT?" They didn't know whether to be scared or curious. I got no arguments from them about waiting in the car with their sister while I ran in to pick up the medicine the vet had waiting for me. As I walked past the Jeep, the lady glanced at me and I mentioned to her that the kids thought her dog was the neatest thing they had ever seen. She smiled a little and then I noticed she was crying. She said "Thank you. He's a great dog. We're having to have him put down. It's hard." It's only been a couple of weeks since I had to make the same decision and I couldn't tell her that without crying myself. All I could manage was a squeaky, "I understand." The dog was old and could hardly lift his massive body on weak legs any more. His eyes showed obvious pain and he panted with the effort to move closer to the back of the Jeep to greet me. At that point, my younger kids came barreling out of the van to get a closer look too. The lady heard them coming and said "They can see him, he doesn't bite." I didn't doubt her - he was excited. This dog was love in a big package. Simple majesty. His eyes brightened at the sight of my kids and he shifted as quickly as he could to be ready to meet them when they got to him. They eagerly petted the head that was bigger than each of their bodies, marveling in the sweetness of his size. He closed his eyes with the pleasure of being loved and his lady smiled.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home