Time And Tide

Yesterday is not ours to recover, but tomorrow is ours to win or to lose. Lyndon B.Johnson

Wednesday, August 13, 2003

I just put the girls on the bus (at 7:15 oh my). Already this morning I've cleaned my living room carpet, walked the puppy twice, fed and watered various pets and brushed my hair. Brushing my hair don't really count though because since I washed it last night all brushing it served to do is poof it out. I now sport a style similar to that Flashdance girl, ewwey! I'll have to fix that, but later, right now I just want to rest with coffee. It's too dang early to do any more than I've already done.

Last night I watched Queer eye for the straight guy again with my husband. Definitely hooked. The Fab 5 are so clued in. In fact, every gay man I've ever known is. They actually care about color and impressions, hygiene, shopping, talking, feelings...sigh. Seriously, I'd love to have a gay man on the side.

Onward...

It seems fashion (or lack of it) is a hot topic in the little circle of blogs I read. I don't think I have a style. I used to, but that was back in the day when I was young and hot (and my budget consisted of money for clothing rather than bills) and now I'm not. In the summer I used to only wear white. No joke. I had an entire white summer wardrobe of nothing but whites and the occasional barely there color. Light, airy, flowing and fluttering (but never frilly...I don't do frilly). I could do fitted or loose and make it look good. Short skirts with lacy socks and heels...could do that. Jeans with heels or pointy-toed black lace covered boots...could do that too. Tank top and a worn out pair of boys Levi's? Yep, did it well. Now I hardly think I could have a style, even with the help of the Fab 5 or the women's equivalent.

I live most of my life in jeans and t-shirts or sweats and t-shirts depending on the time of year. Seldom will you catch me in a sweater (too itchy) and almost never will I wear heels. I don't own a bra. I prefer tanks and microfiber sports bra type things if I really must wear a bra and granny panties have overthrown the thong and string bikini's in the battle for my butt. I am comfort oriented now. Besides, I seldom see people so why dress for it? I mean, how much fashion sense is required for laundry, vacuuming and scooping litter boxes? I may occasionally look "stylish" but if it happens, it's purely accidental (and comfortable). Besides, clothes today suck. It's the 70's all over again. Anyone who grew up wearing coulottes and double zippered bell-bottomed blue jeans knows it was a mistake the first time around. 70's fashion is a nightmare. I can't even watch a movie set in the 70's.

It's been this fashion trend that's given me much grief as I prepared the girls for going back to school. Our county dress code states that shorts and skirts must reach to at within an inch above the knee. Have school district officials failed to notice the clothes that are being sold? I have news for them...shorts like that are called Jams and they went out in the 80's. Now the skirt length issue I agree with completely, but there's nothing wrong with shorts that hit mid-thigh.
Go shopping now and what you'll find is low-riding hot pant short shorts and women's t-shirts small enough to fit your average 6 year-old.

On the first day of school my oldest said most girls were wearing capri's. The most laughable of the dress code rules is "no headbands". They already covered do rags, bandanas, hats and various other forms of headgear and they specifically mention headbands. This morning Leirin came in and said "Do you think it's ok if I wear this hairbow?" and I have to wonder what is going on in the world when a hairbow becomes a main focus of preparing for school. It is a hair band with feathers hanging off of beaded leather strips. Honestly, I don't know if they will deem that "unsuitable" or not. It's entirely possible.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home