Time And Tide

Yesterday is not ours to recover, but tomorrow is ours to win or to lose. Lyndon B.Johnson

Thursday, November 18, 2004

Do I look younger to you?

Ok, so I detest Dr. Laura but on this I agree.

Tonight after Emily's science fair I stopped at the store for cigarettes. Yeah I know today is the Smoke Out. Yeah, I failed again. But that's not what this is about.
When I walked up to the counter and told her what I wanted she said "Are you over 18?"
I turned to see if there was someone standing beside me, like, maybe she was talking to Emily (she got gum). She was looking at me all serious still, so I said "Waaayy!" (I'm 36)
"Are you sure? I'm going to have to ask to see your fake ID."
Ok so maybe she was just messing with me.
I'll take it.
I'm wondering if I look that different tonight or something. Doug said I do look younger today (for some odd reason). It does make me want to make a beer run to a different store just to see if it will happen again. That would be cool. It's unfortunate that a silly something like that can make me feel good.
Jake and I have started learning Spanish (and I'm not sure if it's cause for concern, but I will type Spanich every time). He is loving it and now I can count to ten in Spanish AND French. I learn something new every day. God I love homeschooling!
I talked to the curriculum coordinator at Em's school tonight about getting her out of the AR reading program. It's backfiring on her. It's taken a voracious reader and turned her into a very reluctant one. She has to read all these books to meet the weekly AR goal and she chooses books she isn't really interested in rather than books that are much larger (and worth a LOT of points) because she is afraid if she didn't finish the book within a week she'd miss her AR goal and that is not good no matter what reading project you have in the works.
Maybe she's just a rebel and she don't want to be told what to read and how to read it or what lasting memories to take from it. Whatever it is, it's working for her and I asked for her to be let out of it. I've worked way too hard to make sure each of my kids have a love for reading to have this program wipe it out. And the curriculum coordinator said?
"Sure, no problem. I'll talk to her teachers."
No problem.
It is SO nice to be in a school where the teachers listen and actually have an interest in what is best for the kids.
So tonight we came home and tracked down my worn copy of The Outsiders. She won't get any points for it but we'll have a great time discussing it once she's finished reading. She won't pass a test, but she will remember the details forever. THAT'S reading.


1 Comments:

Blogger GeekyMom said...

I bought The Outsiders for Leirin when she was in the 4th grade and it took me forever to get her to read it too. I guess they must think that moms just can't know what the cool books are. Was the same thing with The Great Christmas Kidnapping Caper...can't get Emily to read that one to save my life! Even Leirin has told her how much she will like it. She'll (or would) read anything else though. Thank goodness for second opinions.

8:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home