Time And Tide

Yesterday is not ours to recover, but tomorrow is ours to win or to lose. Lyndon B.Johnson

Sunday, November 07, 2004

It's been a while. I'm neck deep in getting ready for the holidays and winter weather. Yesterday I completed a crib-size quilt for my two year-old nephew and I have yet to begin reglazing any of the windows we lost during the bad storms of summer. I'm hoping I will get started on the windows today. I can't put them off forever.
Can I?
We've gone through several weeks of pure hell with our goofy dog, Gimli. Allie and Luna were both in heat (we're behind on neutering animals since moving) and Gimli was, as Jacob says, one big hornety dog. I would let him out the back door of the kitchen and walk straight through to the other end of the house and open the door that leads to the fence. Gimli would already be inside chasing Allie around in circles. I doubt seriously he even stopped to pee on his way around the house. I'd have to drag him back inside, force him to eat and drink instead of sitting at the door pawing at it, then walk him on a leash to go potty and make him come back inside. Oh the joys of it all.
Luna was a good decoy for us. Though she was also in heat the fact that she is smaller than 5 month old kittens and Gimli is a gigantic black lab made for a much more unlikely situation. At least she could keep him running in the same circles for a half an hour or so without much risk of being caught giving both Allie and me a break. Thanks to our vet who took pity on us and worked Gimli in on a very tight schedule, he's now fixed and a few days after surgery showed an amazing lack of interest. Yippee. Only three more to go and we start with Allie next week once she is safely out of season and can face surgery without risk to her health.
These are the things my life is made of living here on this 'farm'. I spend many of my days figuring out where to keep Buddy so the chickens can be out without getting eaten, looking for something suitable to make nests for laying hens (we hope they will be anyway), dragging bones of larger dead things that my dogs find in the woods back OUT of our yard. Yep it's fun.
Fun, fun, fun, fun, fun. (really it is - except for the body parts)
There really isn't a lot of excitement going on here, which is just lovely if you ask me. We walk in the woods, get awakened at night by dogs barking at wild creatures that roam through our yard, occasionally glimpse glowing eyes in the edge of the woods (freaky). It is quiet on the porch swing, the chimes hum through a near constant breeze and brilliant sunsets are standard issue. Life is good. Too good, it seems, for me to spend much time on the computer any more. I'm still around but if I disappear it isn't because something's happened. I'm just living better thesedays.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home