Time And Tide

Yesterday is not ours to recover, but tomorrow is ours to win or to lose. Lyndon B.Johnson

Sunday, October 03, 2004

The dreaded headache hangover

I woke up to the sounds of a morning thunderstorm. Real thunder - the kind that scares our big, goofy, sweet dog, Gimli and has him pawing at the front door begging to be locked in the indoor crate where it is safe. Silly dog. It was nearly 9:30 and I'm not sure I would have awakened then had it not been for the sound of the thunder because of the migraine I've had since Friday night. At least I'm guessing it's a migraine. It's very similar and very different from any I've ever had before.
Friday night I couldn't see. Well, I could see but it was like looking at an overexposed picture, or looking directly at the sun. I couldn't focus and it was all just too bright. I went to bed because even sitting up in a dark room was kind of like looking through those funky night-vision binoculars or something. The headache woke me up about 3am. There was pain. Lots of pain that made me want to curl up on the floor in some dark corner and cry (or find someone to volunteer to cut my head off and be done with it.) I managed to grab snatches of sleep off and on from 5 - 6 yesterday morning but the headache wasn't going to give any ground.
We met the family for lunch yesterday afternoon because it was Leirin's birthday and I managed to muddle through it ok; though I did get many more "poor thing" and "go home and rest" than Leirin got Happy Birthdays. I really hated that I kept her birthday celebration from being as fun as they usually turn out to be. I came straight home and hit the couch, where I stayed until I woke up somewhere around 8:00. Back to bed by 11:00 and everybody in the house, even Jake, beat me awake this morning. That never happens.
Now I feel like I have a hangover. I always have migraine hangovers and I hate them almost as bad as the mirgaines themselves. The muscles in my neck are so tense from working hard to hold my head as still as possible, even when I sleep, that it's difficult for me to move. Still, if I bend over to get something, that mean old headache mafia dude that seems to be following me around this weekend, leans over and stabs me in the right side of my head with an icepick so I'm not sure the headache is gone at all. At the moment though, I don't feel like I'm going to be sick and that is a blessing of the highest kind. My body is so tense all over I'd give anything for a deep muscle massage.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home