Time And Tide

Yesterday is not ours to recover, but tomorrow is ours to win or to lose. Lyndon B.Johnson

Wednesday, January 05, 2005

We weren't supposed to start school again until tomorrow, but being that our school district sees fit to jam-pack the year with nonsensical half-days and such, we had to go back a day early to make up for the one we missed when the hurricanes killed power all over the area for days back in September. Naturally, when my alarm went off I felt like I could've slept until ten. Just my luck.
The girls, however, had no such problem. Since I apparently have no problem with raising a family full of addicts, and since that means Leirin was provided with two entire seasons of X-Files on DVD, and being that that was enough to make her a huge fan, she and Emily set their clocks and got up early to watch X-Files from 5-7am. (and naturally they were both asleep again by 7:05, but I woke them up and hauled them off to school like a good mom should. I didn't even come back home and go to bed myself. Oh no, I had my own FlyLady routine to get back to - which went very well thankyouverymuch. My livingroom is now void of the Christmas tree - the boxes of ornaments and various decorations have been sorted and neatly packed (and labeled) the multi-trillion tree needles have been vacuumed from the carpets. The change was enough to stop Em dead in her tracks this evening and say, "WOW, Mom, the living room is looking really, REALLY good!"
Of course the tree is sitting in the stand in our front yard, but...babysteps. Gimli has sweetly agreed to let me tie a rope around the tree and attach it to his big, furry butt to be hauled over the river and to the woods. Actually we haven't talked about it yet, but he's just goofy enough to go for it.
The big news of the week is we now have a dining room table. A real one. With chairs and everything. I was able to haul the plywood and two desks it sat on (in old table fashion) to the building. The chairs are sitting in a line by the kitchen door awaiting their turn to be hauled out and stuffed in. I mean taken out and neatly arranged in the storage building. I've even swept the front porch, scrubbed down the paneling in the dining room because that's the current ZONE and I'm feeling right proud of myself.
I even drank 4 big glasses of water today. Of course my body is on the verge of retalliating over that one. I can haul all the wood and chairs I want to without much complaint from me in the muscle department, but make myself function on mostly water and my head screams NOOOOO!
It's that family of addicts thing. What's worse, Coke or X-Files and CSI?
I did have coke with my dinner. Thank goodness - it was about to get as bad as the last time I tried to quit smoking. No thanks, I'll stick with the stogie for now, at least.
But seriously I'm hoping that the next three months will see me 20 pounds lighter and not completely dependent on caffiene and sugar THEN we'll see about drop-kicking the nicotine monster, but I tell ya, I'll be requiring something pretty darn rich to replace that habit.
Got my hair cut again this week. I hope this one ends up being what I'm happy with because I'm running out of hair. I've had fourteen inches cut since the end of September and I don't have a whole lot more to spare if I decide I don't like this job in a few weeks. I've already bought the new hair color just in case (deep mahogany because, at least right now, it's winter and I'm feeling a bit too light-ish). With hair just below my shoulders now, I'm afraid I can't take too many more unsatisfactory haircuts so here's hoping.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My name is Shelley, and I'm not lurking today! Did you know it was Delurking Day?

3:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home