Time And Tide

Yesterday is not ours to recover, but tomorrow is ours to win or to lose. Lyndon B.Johnson

Thursday, December 23, 2004

One more pile of partially stitched-together pieces of material await the stitching and I'll be done. I sneak away to the sewing room as often as I can to work on this last piece of Christmas gift which I like to call Hell in heavy flannel. I thought if I'd sewn a coat - a honest to goodness, actual, warm coat - even after not sewing for ten years, and it turned out good, I could surely sew one big headed dog print BAG, couldn't I?
Wrong.
Well, not wrong, because I am getting it done but OH. MY. GOODNESS. it's been a booger. I've learned that patterns for 'accessories' tend to be severely lacking in the CLEAR instructions department. I caught myself looking at the picture, which was almost incomprehensible in itself, then reading the instructions and thinking, WHAT? Now I can't spend much time complaining because the bag (even though it was me that made it) is awesome, and Leirin is going to love it come Christmas morning. Shhhh, don't tell. It's a surprise. The bottom is pinned and ready to be sewn (lined with nice, sturdy cardboard, I might add) and all that's left to finish today is trim around the top and the straps. Taa Daaaaa! I'm so proud of me.
Oh, I forgot, I have to run elastic in Em's pajama pants too. Shoot, and I thought I was this close to being done.
As is usual, the solstice passed by in the rush for Christmas with little more than a nod from me and the girls. I seldom manage to find the time for the quieter of the spiritual side of things at this time of year. I guess it is fitting that by the time of the solstice, I'm thoroughly mired in the seemingly eternal night before Christmas. But ultimately, the rush of this time of year is a good reminder of how the wheel turns and life continues on.
Today we will be receiving three foster min pins. Three. I was contacted by a friend that I met shortly after we moved here. She knew I do rescue, though not as part of an organization. They've recently taken in 300 min pins from a puppy mill and they are hard pressed to find fosters for an influx of this many dogs from one place. These poor little dogs existed on a diet of, well, you don't really want to know what most of them had to eat when housed in wooden crates with holes in the top and bottom and stacked three high (food was poured through the top and each dog received what didn't fall through the bottom of their crate). They are being picked up from North Carolina today so they can be brought in before the holiday and they won't have to stay in that horrible place anymore. It adds a big old rush for me to get a place ready for them - most likely a special diet from the vet, a room of their own where they can adjust to the hustle and bustle of this house before being set upon by our friendly brood, and other supplies.
And I still have to wrap gifts.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home