Time And Tide

Yesterday is not ours to recover, but tomorrow is ours to win or to lose. Lyndon B.Johnson

Thursday, January 01, 2004

Well here it is, the new year, and I managed to be awake by 8am in spite of being up until 2 (and with a bottle of asti, no less). We settled in early for our quiet, uneventful New Year's Eve - Doug and the kids piled up on the couch to watch Buffy while I went to bed with my laptop. I'm loving the laptop even though it is a kid attracter and it seems every time I sit down with it one of them magically appears by my side and begs "Can I touch it?"

"No, get your own."

So far sitting on the bed with the laptop doesn't make for the most productive time, but I'm hoping the new will wear off of it soon (with the kids anyway).

Yesterday we went to look at two new houses. One is perfect for us and the other is just...PERFECT. Not for us though. That house was magazine house, so dainty it's called a gentleman's farm and though my heart screams to have this house with the breathtaking front porch views of the purple topped Blue Ridge Mountains (I think that's the one there are views of a few different mountain ranges from that town) I know it wouldn't take my kids alone two weeks to completely ruin the nearly white carpet upstairs, or to pull the chandelier from the ceiling - which can be reached from the upstairs railing - SOMEBODY would Tarzan off that thing within a matter of days. I know this - anyway the house is gorgeous, has 4 acres fenced, a bonus room over the garage that's perfect for making soap in, and a clawfoot tub. It was built for me. But me in another life. Me without 5 dogs and 3 kids. Sigh...

The house that's more suited to us is smack in the middle of 19.5 acres of hardwoods, has a small but neat yard trimmed out of that, a swimming pool, sunroom, and detached garage with an apartment above it - also perfect for making soap and would hold a stove too so I wouldn't have to mess up Doug's kitchen. We could make enough money for fencing by having the area we want to pasture logged (I think) and we wouldn't have to clear more than is absolutely necessary for pastureland and a barn. I figure about 5 acres and we'd have everything we could possibly need, except the horses to put in there (but we have horses picked out already). The horse Leirin wants is a retired brood mare at the farm named Sunny, and I really love this beautiful dark colored horse (almost that black cherry color that changes from black to red to purple that trans am used to use on their cars many moons ago) named Valerie. Oh it sounds like so much fun.
Want to know the insanely ridiculous part of this new house that thrills me to the bone? The part that tickles me the most? Well, it seens that there was a handicap man living there before and all the carpet was ripped out of the house to accomodate his wheelchair. Down to the subfloor it's bare. Every room would need a new floor. And why that thrills me, I do not know but it does. I could move to the world's most perfect Crysty Place in the middle of a forest - and it's big enough I could give it a name, and plan to...something forest. I thought of SureWould Forest in honor of my buddy Linda who, no doubt, would help me lay that flooring and we'd have a great time doing it if she were here - anyway, got off track there...the world's most perfect Crysty Place and I'm excited because it has no flooring in it. I never claimed to be the brightest crayon in the box.

I think this place may very well be it and it makes my insides flutter at the thought because at this point it's out of my hands. We have to go get a better look at it, find out more details about it and then comes the money talk and that's all Doug's department. Doug's department because I'd have written a check (admittedly a bad one) on the spot for both houses last night.
Impulsive? Me? Maybe a tad.

Back to the New Year festivities. It was fun, more so than we had planned for. We had Asti, the kids had that pretend wine sparkling grape juice stuff and we have Buffy on DVD and that was the limit of our planned festivities last night. But the guys across the street had plans. They had fireworks that made such a commotion of popping and whirling and screeching, we just had to go check it out. Jake hung out of his bedroom window applauding each loud and beautiful burst of color. He nearly fell out laughing at the silly (most likely drunk) boys having roman candle wars with each other. Emily squealed with delight as they lit those little whirling chaser thingies and danced around them in a funky college-boy-Mexican-hat-dance-with-fire celebration. It was great fun. From the street they yelled "Happy New Year Neighbors across the street!" and my kids yelled back, "HAPPY NEW YEAR NEIGHBOR!"

The boys delighted in watching the younger of my two kids get such a kick out of watching the fireworks that they even shared their sparklers with them. We were standing on the porch, shivering in the cold when a guy comes walking over holding a box in his hand. "Can they have sparklers?" he said, "And oh, I'm Joe from across the street, by the way." Joe was very nice and aside from looking just a leetle bit insane when he dropped this whirley thing down in his pants and held the stretchy waist out while the sparks lit him up kind of like those cartoons where someone gets electrocuted and you can see their skeleton, he seems like a really great guy. By 12:30 the group of boys were standing in the middle of the street telling their New Year's Resolutions in complete sober seriousness.

We were awake until 2 and I crashed long before my husband had time to burn off the rush of energy the excitement of the kids had given him so I went to bed with Jake (he thankfully settled down to sleep around 2:30 or so) and now I'm the only one awake in the house with the exception of Gimli (the lumbering, clumsy, precious black lab pup I adore) and Piglet the cat. The rest are still snoozing. My world is quiet. And though laundry awaits in the new year even though I wished real hard that it wouldn't be, it's a great day.

The only resolution I will be making, if anyone is interested, is to get out of this town. I've found peace driving up to a few farms that's enough to bring me near to tears. My heart screams THIS ONE! THIS ONE! LET ME LIVE HERE! and I desperately want to get to move to one of those places.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home