Time And Tide

Yesterday is not ours to recover, but tomorrow is ours to win or to lose. Lyndon B.Johnson

Friday, May 28, 2004

Little bits of this and that

The kids bathroom window overlooks the screened porch. Not long ago a little bird built a nest and laid 5 of the most beautiful blue/green eggs. Every day we'd peek through the window to see if she was gone then raise the window carefully to count the eggs. They hatched on Tuesday morning so now we have 5 of the cutest little (and apparently starving) birds, chirping away and demanding their supper. All it takes to get them going is the sound of our footsteps in the bathroom. Turn on the water, they're up screaming and craning their little necks for food. Turn on the light, more chirping. The kids and I watch them through the glass like they are some kind of museum exhibit. Each one of us have to fight hard against the urge to take one of them into our hand just to see what they would feel like. Soon enough we'll have baby chicks, I tell them, and then you can fondle all the feathery little creatures that chirp that you want to.
This morning I went to check on the little birds and stopped to pee. I had no more got sat down when the bathroom door starts to creak open. I look over and see The Pig and Winkin - paws against the door where they had raised up on it to force their way in. Their little paws sliding down to the ground as the door opened wider. They sidled into the bathroom, Mosquito along with them, and came over to make me pet them. It's happened for years and years and I shouldn't be surprised that it takes actual concentration to pee, but I've never got over the fact that they can literally interrupt my bathroom break and I can't finish going until they've had their fill of petting and wandered off to inspect the bathtub or the laundry basket. It's like stealing yawns. Winkin steals yawns. Open your mouth wide for anything and she's going to stick her pink little nose right in front of it to check out your fillings. It's aggravating. There's no great feeling of relief from a pee or a yawn interrupted.

I think I may have broke my little toe last night. Either that or it's hurt real bad. Real bad. This morning it throbs like a headache and when I walk it feels like somebody is hitting it with a hammer. It's all purplish red and puffy. I just hope I can avoid causing it pain all day while I'm scooting around laying floor. Today will FINALLY be floor day. Yay me! I thought yesterday would be floor day but every single day there is something else waiting to be done first. Touch up this. Oops, I forgot I had to do that. Geesh, you're not going to leave the trim in Jake's room only half painted are you? Jake's doors and windows await painting today and if there is any way possible for me to pass that duty on to my uncle or Leirin, I'm going to let them have it. I've cut the doors in so they won't be too hard for her to do. She's turning into a pretty darn good painter.

Our bedroom can't have anything done until we make sure there is no wetness hiding behind the walls where the chimney flashing was leaking. That's a pisser - knowing that MY relaxing spot isn't going to be finished by the time we move in. I have to wait for the man to come inspect it though. No use going through all that work to find out the walls must be ripped out. Once the builder guy comes he will start working on the bathrooms. Ceilings have to come out in two of them and the other will be completely gutted. It will feel, I'm sure, like two steps back. I can see it coming to an end though. The getting ready part that is. We still have to move and that's a whole 'nother mess yet to begin.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home