Time And Tide

Yesterday is not ours to recover, but tomorrow is ours to win or to lose. Lyndon B.Johnson

Saturday, July 24, 2004

Morrow years

The girls are with my mom for the weekend, so when Jake went to work with his dad today, I got a day of my own. Of course it started out with me taking Jake to work then obediently staying for lunch so he could 'wait on' me. Naturally, I had to hang out a little while to watch him work - my little man with his choo-choo train apron with one side pocket packed full of straws, a pad and pen in the center, and the world's sweetest "What can I get for you to drink?" (The left side pocket of his apron was left empty for holding tips he was sure to get).
It's impressive, watching my kids work. Emily is a whirlwind of working girl, dead serious about The Job from the minute she walks in the door until she walks out of it (which is usually at least ten hours later...she gets the work-a-holic thing from her dad). Both Em and Leirin can take the place of any scheduled staff with the exception of prep-cooks and line cooks, and I'm quite sure that's only because by law (and insurance) they aren't allowed to.
Eric, one of the cooks, is always saying he has to stay on Emily's good side so that she doesn't fire him when her dad turns the running of the restaurant over to her. She's that serious.  Doug is pleased to know that at least one of the kids have the restaurant bug. A family needs two work-a-holics, I suppose.
But today I was watching Jake - the last of my babies - as he took his turn at being part of the work force. It's hard to imagine that my kids are all big enough to carry drinks without having to worry about spilling them.
People love Jake. They think he is cute, precious, such a sweet little server, and he has the coolest choo-choo apron in the whole world. And they tip him for it.
Now anybody that knows or has read anything about Jacob knows that money is the big motivator. He came home with 20 bucks in that left apron pocket (and a nickel) folded neatly and already warm from the burning to be saved. His eyes they glowed with possibility. Job = money = dollars = happy Jake. He wants to do more of this working thing.
I'm proud, his dad is proud. He's a hard working little man according to all of the staff. Every one stops me to say they are amazed that kids their age can come in and do the work they do, love it so much, and do it so well.
Doug beams as his little restauranteur comes around the corner carrying a stack of empty cups and silverware talking about what a mess the party in the banquet room left behind. In Jake's eager eyes he sees the future of our business.
It is a moment, you realize as it happens, that will be a cherished memory in the morrow years.
I'm not sure if Jake's future will find him running the restaurant or not. It will be his meantime job like it is for many wannabe actors and actresses, but I look at the gleam in his eye as he pats the apron pocket to hear the solid little jingle and I'm thinking banker.
Don't tell Doug though. He has years to entertain the possibilities.

2 Comments:

Blogger AGK said...

My teen would love to have such an opportunity to work NOW. He is always trying to earn money some way, some how. He's itching for his 16th B-day, more just to get a job.

6:28 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

What a wonderful moment :)

10:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home